Community Forum

Multiple Dynamic IPs from Comast

New Poster

Multiple Dynamic IPs from Comast

I have an Arris SB8200 modem with dual ports that the mfg confirms can be both provisioned with seperate IPs.

And with some googling, I've read some comcast customers have successfully gotten this to work.  Even on this forum....

I finally got someone at the xfinity store to add an addition IP to my account, but I was not able to get it provisioned.  I guess phone support just didn't understand what I was saying - One comcast phone support kept asking if my printer was connect with a wire or wireless ?? 

They finally sent a tech out to my house because no one on the phone could help.  After the tech gets here and I explain, he spends a while on the phone, he responds with "I need to buy a block of 5 IPs to get it to work" (for more money of course), so I declined.  But it seems to me, if they can do a block of 5, it's available in my area.  Seems strange there would be a subnetting issue with allocating just one IP when other areas are capable of it.  I'm still thinking I didn't get a straight answer.

I know this is a common thing thru business comcast, I'm surprised residential has such a hard time with it (same coax cable whether you have residential or business, so they share the network)

If there are any Comcast experts out there that have helped other people with this, please let me know.

Official Employee

Re: Multiple Dynamic IPs from Comast

Hello, MoDiver! Welcome to the forums. I just responded back to your PM regarding another IP address. Please get back to me there when you can! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@MoDiver wrote:

I have an Arris SB8200 modem with dual ports that the mfg confirms can be both provisioned with seperate IPs.

And with some googling, I've read some comcast customers have successfully gotten this to work.  Even on this forum....

I finally got someone at the xfinity store to add an addition IP to my account, but I was not able to get it provisioned.  I guess phone support just didn't understand what I was saying - One comcast phone support kept asking if my printer was connect with a wire or wireless ?? 

They finally sent a tech out to my house because no one on the phone could help.  After the tech gets here and I explain, he spends a while on the phone, he responds with "I need to buy a block of 5 IPs to get it to work" (for more money of course), so I declined.  But it seems to me, if they can do a block of 5, it's available in my area.  Seems strange there would be a subnetting issue with allocating just one IP when other areas are capable of it.  I'm still thinking I didn't get a straight answer.

I know this is a common thing thru business comcast, I'm surprised residential has such a hard time with it (same coax cable whether you have residential or business, so they share the network)

If there are any Comcast experts out there that have helped other people with this, please let me know.

FYI, I've assisted several forum users to get that done, and having owned an SB8200 myself, there are several threads here where that was done. 

First of all, you should check if the ability to have additional residential IP addresses is available in your area: check https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/ (requires XFINITY account logon).

If it's available, provisioning your modem for the second IP should be no issue, any of the official Comcast employees here can do that. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I am having problems getting 2 up addresses back. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to gigabit internet. Now they can't get both IP's to work on my sb8200.
Official Employee

Hello, all. The ability to have multiple ID addresses for residential accounts has been removed [Edit: In some areas] as far as my knowledge. Multiple IP addresses are only available for business customers. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

Question @ComcastAlly 

Would a residential customer that already has multiple IP's be grandfathered in and able to keep them or would they be reduced to having a single one ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

EG, they would be grandfathered in. However, if any changes are made, like getting a new modem or changing a package, they would lose the additional IP. 

Expert

Thank you for the info ! Smiley Happy

Official Employee

My pleasure, EG!