Community Forum

Moving gateway router/modem to another room

New Poster

Moving gateway router/modem to another room

I was wondering if I could do this myself: move my router/modem from upstairs to downstairs.  I'd like to move it to the family room, where the DVR is hooked up.  Does anyone know how I can do this, or if I would need a tech to come out and do it for me?  I'm also having some wifi issues (with computer and Xbox in family room), so doing this would at least solve that problem if I can connect directly with network cable.  I'd still need to solve it in order to connect to computer upstairs, but that's less critical.

Problem Solver

Re: Moving gateway router/modem to another room

There can be many issues when moving a modem from one line to another. If you have multiple splitters, and that line is on them, it can cause the modem to not sync. If the coax has poor connectors or has the shield showing, it can also cause sync issues. You are taking some risks in moving it.

Your best thing would be to just use Wifi extenders, such as http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx or you can use a single Access Point such as the Engenius ECB350, which is a high power Access Point, to give you better coverage.

Using the Netgear Powerline Wireless Extenders, it creates a wireless Bridge, to help allow more coverage. It also offers an Ethernet port, to plug in Ethernet devices that do not have Wireless Capabilities. The Netgear bridge is the cheaper way to go, if you are looking at keeping costs down.
New Poster

Re: Moving gateway router/modem to another room

Thanks for the suggestion.  I chatted with a technician and they said moving the box was fine.  I just used a splitter to connect one line to the DVR and one to the modem.  Worked without a problem.