Community Forum

Motorola MB8600 vs. SB8200

Contributor

Motorola MB8600 vs. SB8200

Just two weeks in with Xfinity, and with nothing other than reviews and past good experience with Motorola products, I went with the MB8600 modem, and was also considering the SB8200. No issues yet, it seems, but reading here about people having issues with this model.

Not borrowing trouble, and I know you can probaly take any device, and find people that have issues, but out of curiosity....how is this model regarded overall, and is the SB8200 considered better, for any reason(s).

Just being proactive. If I were to start having an issues with this one, I'd most likely consider another model.

Contributor

Re: Motorola MB8600 vs. SB8200

I looked at the same two modems and I got the MB8600 about a year ago and have had no issues with it. My speed tier is only 150 so I am not pushing it very hard. I do not think you can go wrong with either.  

Contributor

Yeah, it seems that it's here and there, but I noticed it. You can probably take any model modem, and find someone with issues, and people that have no issues. I saw a few posts regarding the 8600, and figured I'd see if there was a consensus. My tier is 60mbps, so maybe the lower tiers have less issues, if at all. *shrug*

Contributor

My MB8600 just quit working on comcast network this weekend.  Tech install the XB6 temporarily until I get a replacement.  I swear comcast forces owned modems off their network via firmware to disable them.  I am looking into the ARRIS SB8200 as you noted to give it a try.  When the MB did work, it was great.  This XB6 is using data like I have no cap.  Reading about others in the same boat too and it's ridiculous how they are forcing people into this mess and making them pay more.  can't wait for Google fiber or FIOS

Silver Problem Solver

@dprent wrote:

My MB8600 just quit working on comcast network this weekend.  Tech install the XB6 temporarily until I get a replacement.  I swear comcast forces owned modems off their network via firmware to disable them.  I am looking into the ARRIS SB8200 as you noted to give it a try.  When the MB did work, it was great.  This XB6 is using data like I have no cap.  Reading about others in the same boat too and it's ridiculous how they are forcing people into this mess and making them pay more.  can't wait for Google fiber or FIOS

I have had no cap issues since I got my Arris XB6.  I did have an issue with my offline backup storage one month but it was their issue and not Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

I have the SB8200 and aside from a few minor tweaks, it's been pretty solid.  The Netgear CM1000, the Motorola MB8600 and the ARRIS SB8200 have the same chipsets and pretty much identical except for number of LAN ports. Unless you're looking at future features like LAG or multiple IP addresses just get whatever modem you can get a good deal on. 

@dprent wrote:

I swear comcast forces owned modems off their network via firmware to disable them.  I am looking into the ARRIS SB8200 as you noted to give it a try.  When the MB did work, it was great.  

Yeah... I don't think so. I've owned my own modems on Comcast for the better part of a decade now and I've never had the issues you describe. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I purchased the MB8600 from Amazon even after I had seen some of the bad reviews. Suffice to say I should've listened. Continual disconnects that got worse and worse. I had it for less than a day. The issue appears to be related to fluctuations in signal strength. The modem cannot seem to recover from weak signals and ultimately just freezes up. Rebooting helps, but only for a few minutes at a time. I took a look at the logs and as noted, it appears related to signal strength. 

I ended up replacing it with a Netgear CM1000. I looked at the SB8200, but after doing some due diligence, that one also had issues similar to the MB8600. Suffice to say the setup with the CM1000 was seamless and it's been up now for over 24 hours with nary a glitch. Only time will tell how it holds up. For now, I'm a happy camper. 

Expert

Dead thread from last year now being closed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!