Community Forum

More Connection issues...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

More Connection issues...

Several tiems over the years I had my internet keep going out in the bedroom and it always ended yup that someone above the first tier of comcast technicians came out and said the lower tier ones were messing things up at the box. But calling comcast they want to say it's my equipment because it's a few years old...

Anyway, my SNR is around 40, power -3 to -5, upstream around 55, so not quiote in the ideal ranges, but close. Apparently my modem doesn't show event logs.

Several days in a row, the internet went out. I then connected the modem in another room and used a long ethernet cable back into this room. It then worked fine. But after several days of working fine, I accidentally uinplugged it. Then when i plugged it back in, it would not work even in that room.

I then moved it back to the trouble room and then it worked in THAT room again. Well now it's back to going out again. It usually ends up having the second light go solid, the third blink for a long time, then it resets back to the second one flashing.

They scheduled an appt, but it's going to needlessly have someone come out here because that lower tier of people who come out have never ever fixed anything. It always had to go up a tier to the guy who runs lines through the attic. And by the way the same guy put in new cables up there twice... so it's not likely up there.

I tried with the splitter, without splitter, multiple ethernet cables, etc... It seems to need the splitter, which still seems odd to me. Comcast provided that splitter, by the way, not me.....

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: More Connection issues...

Btw, IF I do get new equipment at some point, which ones seem to have the least sisues and can handle gigabit, where I futureproof? Modem only. I read a recommendation on a netgear one, but did see a review of someone having this same issue.

I know from over the years that some brands are less sensitive than others and won't totally knock the internet out as easily... But not sure which current oens are least sensitive.

I am pretty sure it's not the device, anyway, but I would like a new one soon for higher speed capacity.

Highlighted
Expert

At 55 dB the upstream power is already out of spec ! That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

See if anything below applies;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There is a tech visit scheduled, but the problems are this:

1. while it is at least working right now, I hate to then have them show up and unplug it and then it may not work at all afterwards. (it has been working for close to a day at a time sometimes, but if I unplug it, it's finicky about getting started back up.)

2. it's an apartment, so i don't have many options for what i can do. Basically the higher level tech who ahs eben out here in the past said the lwoer techs don't know what they are doing and keep doing crazy things at the box.

And indeed they have splitters in variousn places. A few months back they put yet another one in my closet to spolit it for the attached apartment because HERS was not working.

So there is a splitter in the attic, a splitter in the closet, a splitter in this room where it's having issues, I assume at least 1 splitter at the box.... and the low level techs they send out are clueless about this stuff. The higher level tech got so annoyed by what the lower oens did, he put a lock on the box, but eventually someone got it off and changed things again. lol.

Btw this only started around a week ago, and as far as I know nothing was changed then related to splitters, cables, etc...

Highlighted
Expert

That's too many cascaded splitters. Too much signal loss ! Good luck with the tech visit !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Wouldn't it be havig a lower SNR if that was the problem, though?

I am stumped on what to do because I am worried they will make things worse. The last time I unplugged the modem, it "had" been working fine before accidentally unplugging it and then plugging it back in wouldn't have it working. And once it DOES start working again, it works for quite a while, so it's a tough decision.

I bet they won't show up, anyway, because they have 2 nmbers and will probably call the wrong one and me not confirm things. or if the itnernet is out again, one number won't work because it's VOIP.

Highlighted
Expert

@MyNameHere2 wrote:

Wouldn't it be havig a lower SNR if that was the problem, though?

Low downstream power and noise ingress into the lines are not always mutually inclusive. One can occur without the other, and vice-versa.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I found the event log. Do any of these help with anything? Some of them are truncated. After the last one it finally started up. ALSO this keeps happenign the same TIME. Same time today as yesterday. Then once it's back up it stays up for 24 hours. I also confirmed that it has even higher upstream in the other room and that room doesn;t have a splitter in the actual room, so the issue isn't the splitter in the bedroom, it's got to be somewhere else along the line or unrelated.

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q... 

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un... 

Highlighted
Expert

Not really. They just reinforce that there is a connection quality problem. You need another tech out, it's the only way. 

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. Good luck !

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks. Well i hope it gets sorted, but I am not optimistic, since this has happened on and off for 10 years and some of it may be due to an unavoidable setup since it's apartments and one box for 8 apartments.

The fact that it's happening around the same time each day lately and then stays up all the way until the next day should mean something, though. I am personalky guessing it has something to do with someone else using the internet in another apartment at that time or that xfinity is doing some sort of process at that same time.

Typically if it's affecting more than me, it shows as outages, though. None of these ahve been triggered as outages.

They will probably fix mine and the mess someone else's up. then ina  week come back and fix theirs and mess mine up again.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

So far it has stayed back up for over 25 hours since moving to the other room, but hate to cancel and then it start this process all over again to get them out. The upstream is at 52 now, so it's barely beyiond the listed threshold...

Highlighted
Expert

Not good.....

Highlighted
New Poster

This sounds like a super big problem. I hope someone fixes it soon. I moved into a new construction detached house a few years ago and my internet was super slow and dropping out constantly. Streaming video would buffer every few seconds. Turned out the builder's subcontractor who wired the coax cable through the house crimped all of the connectors in the wall. Comcast installed new fittings and my internet started working at the advertised speed.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Well, here is what haoppened with the appointment... he said there was a "filter at the box" that he took off, he got rid of the splitter in my room, I think he changed the coaxial cable, and then the modem started right up and now the upstream is 48, so at least within the range listed here...

Here is something else... EVERY time I checked the modem logs before it said "Unknown" for Upstream channels 2, 3, and 4. but now all of them say ATDMA and 48 power.

What was the filter at the box for? Is his removal of it something that will now mess someone else's up and then them come out and put it right back on and mess me up?

Also, Comcast texted me last night saying they "fixed the problem in my area", so there may have also been something else involved as well...

I still don't see how 52 was considered not good, though, when it was only 2 over the upper end limit. Now it's only 2 below the upper limit.

Event logs now show when it finally connected it didn't have errors and the corrctables and uncorrectables are all 0 on the other page, whereas they had been a decent number of correctables before.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

whyatt,  glad you got it working now! And speaking of speeds, I think my upload speed is higher now. It's measuring almost 25Mbps. i can't 100% remember what it was before, though, other than something under 20. I'm now just afraid they will mess soemthing else up or maybe should have put a new splitter on instead of using none in here now. They obviously thought it was needed in the past.

It felt so weird that as soon as he did those changes the modem just instantly got all booted up properly.... within maybe 10 or 20 seconds, whereas even when it was working beforehand it would take at least 10-25 mins of lights going on and back off etc... Last time I remember it starting up fast was probably years ago.

Highlighted
Expert

52 is out of spec. 40 to 45 dB is considered to be optimal. That was a noise filter. Hope things hold up for you ! Good luck !

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

EG, well if you know he shouldn't have removed it, let me know what to tell them the next time this messes up when they inevitably put it back on. The first line of techs who come out don't lnow a lot, it seems to me, and they also only think about the one apt they are working on, so will mess others up to fix the one the visit is about.

All I can say is this... the SNR is still almost the same as before it was removed. it was between 40-41 before and after. Upstream power went down (55 yestrerday, now 48), and those channels 2-4 all look normal now instead of unknown with zeroes before. I assume that means only 1 upstream channel was working?

Highlighted
Expert

Yes, it was proper for him to remove it.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

ok thanks!

This went way beyond my recent issues because now both US and DS stay solid blue on the modem (a zoom modem) and I had noticed (and wondered about) the US one NEVER going blue for the past year or two.

So during that time, when there were not outages, it would still work most days, but it was clearly having this problem behind the scenes where it wasn't bonding or w/e,