Community Forum

Monitoring bandwidth usage: Looking for advice/suggestions

Regular Visitor

Monitoring bandwidth usage: Looking for advice/suggestions

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but as someone who is switching to Comcast in 2 weeks, I am a little nervous about the 1 TB bandwidth limit.  A big chunk of my households internet usage is:

- Downloading/updating games on Steam/Uplay/Origin/Unreal for the PC.

- Downloading/updating games on PS4 and Xbox One.

- Streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime and some sporting events.

Since I am going to be trying out Comcast for a month (30 days before the contract kicks in) first I will be using the standard modem they provide and eventually replace it with one I purchase. Similar to my current ISP, my plan is to continue using my eero mesh network to manage the wifi and routing.

Since eero does NOT have bandwidth monitoring capabilities, what is the best way for me to go about monitoring my network usage? Would my own modem give me more granular access and ability to monitor my network usage?

Sorry for the long post.

Expert

Re: Monitoring bandwidth usage: Looking for advice/suggestions

First. Where are you ? You may not be subject to it. See this;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I am in WA state. Unfortunately, it applies to me.

Official Employee

Hi @akshtray

You can monitor your data by using our Data Usage Meter. You can also monitor your WiFi activity and home WiFi network using the xFi Application or Web Portal. Here are a few more links that may be helpful: 

Getting Started with Xfinity xFi 

Personalizing and Controlling Your Home Network with Xfinity xFi 

I hope this helps. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!