Community Forum

Modem

New Poster

Modem

Why does the modem self-reboot?

Expert

Re: Modem

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@CONNIE24 wrote:

Why does the modem self-reboot?

Mine does from time to time because of construction in the neighborhood.  And sometmes, Comcast takes my head-end offline to do maintenance.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Mine does from time to time because of construction in the neighborhood.  And sometmes, Comcast takes my head-end offline to do maintenance.

Do you mean the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the "Headend" facility / building ? I doubt that they would take down an entire headend facility at once  for maintenance. It would affect thousands of customers, or more.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@EG wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Do you mean the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the "Headend" facility / building ? I doubt that they would take down an entire headend facility at once  for maintenance. It would affect thousands of customers, or more.

I'm not privy to what the equipment is at the end of my alley.  I just know it has been taken out of service(?) several times since I first got TW in 1982.  I'm sure the hardware and the name for it has changed over the years and I have no way to keep up with what it is.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

FWIW, the CMTS and the Headend would not be at "the end of your alley". A *Node* (media converter) device and / or a Line Amp / Extender would.

Silver Problem Solver

@EG wrote:

FWIW, the CMTS and the Headend would not be at "the end of your alley". A *Node* (media converter) device and / or a Line Amp / Extender would.

Thank you. Now I know what it is.  Would the CMTS be at the "plant"?  I've heard that used sometimes.

Expert

The "Plant" is any and all of a cable company's delivery infrastructure / lines hardware;

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+meant+by+cable+plant&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=what+is+a+c...

As stated earlier, the CMTS is at the Headend Building / Facility.