Community Forum

Modem keeps dropping internet connection every few minutes

Regular Visitor

Modem keeps dropping internet connection every few minutes

Hello! I have had this problem for over 24 hours now, in which the modem drops the connection for a couple minutes and then reconnects afterwards. It started last night around 11 PM CST, then it seemed fine for the entire day, but resumed today around the same time. It's on all devices, not just my computer.

When it happens, the Data lights (send/recieve) on my 2100 Cisco Cable Modem stop blinking and eventually blink slowly in unison. When it catches the signal again, all the lights hold steady for a second and then return to normal, until it drops again. I've tried power-cycling and switching the router channel to 11, as well as firewall and turning off screen saver. I've read that removing splitters helps, but is this something for a technician? This is the first time I've had this problem and it's not a new modem.

Here are the stats from 192.168.100.1

Name

CISCO DPC2100R2

Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

00:25:2e:42:db:c0

Hardware Version

Software Version

dpc2100rx-v202r1256-121012Uas

Receive Power Level

-3.1 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio

37.1 dBmV

Transmit Power Level

54.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status

Operational

Transmit Power Level goes up to 58 when it's dropping the signal, fyi.

Expert

Re: Modem keeps dropping internet connection every few minutes

Your upstream level is too high (should be less than 50dBmV) -- this may be your problem. Usually this is caused by too many splitters or bad/substandard wiring. It's possible it is a Comcast issue, but most likely the problem exists between the tap (pole) and your modem. How is your wiring? 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

From what I know it's just a single black line going from the wall to the modem. We only have Xfinity Internet and TV. No Voice.

Regular Visitor

I have also been having connectivity issues, including my internet service cutting out every few minutes and coming back on briefly and going back down. Pretty sure it is on the Comcast end.

Regular Visitor

I am really hoping so. If it is, then it'll resolve itself, without the need for a new modem or a costly tech visit. I've had the connection drop about 2-3 times this morning alone.

I'll keep updating. If it doesnt resolve itself soon I'll look into purchasing a new modem. I'm looking into uBee, ARRIS/Motorola and Linksys.

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

We had just gotten a new ARRIS modem from comcast about 3 days ago because the other one we had was apparently not supported by them anymore and ever since then our internet connection problems have been getting worse and worse. My connection drops every 1-2 minutes and stays down for about 5 and then comes back up. It's getting really old.

New Poster

Had this trouble 7 months ago and gave up on Comcast. Their techs could not fix after 5 in home visits and about 100 online troubleshoot sessions over a 3 month period.

I missed having fast internet so thought I'd give it another try. Received new Arris modem and hooked up yesterday. Since then modem loses connection every 30 min. to an hour and does not reconnect until I manually reboot it. Looks like nothing has changed and I'll have to cancel subscription again.

On install, the tech. noted that the cable was a very long run and said it might cause trouble. No one had ever mentioned this before. So, today, I moved the modem to the other side of my house right next to where the cable comes in and hooked it there with a 3 way splitter, 2 to tvs and the 3rd, a 3 foot cable to the modem. I disconnected the long run cable from the source completely in case it might still weaken a signal even if nothing is connected at the other end. Still no luck... modem connected, stayed on about 30 min., then right back to dropped connections. Don't know what else to do but stick with my AT&T DSL which has been always on and never drops.

Thought I should revisit this post as it is a year later now with no troubles at all!!!

After trying the above, several days later, I decided to go all out and totally separate the tv and internet cables as they had been with the initial long cable. I hooked all my tv's to one cable using an indoor splitter. The second cable was hooked directly to my cable modem and had nothing between it and the outside pole except for one straight passthrough connector that anchors the cable to the siding. This made the shortest and most direct connection possible from the pole to my modem with no splitters at all.

I was unable to make the modem connect after all the rearranging of cables so had to have a tech out one more time. It's now nearly one year later with nearly perfect up time!! I couldn't be happier except for wishing for lower costs. I believe I've only lost connection possibly 2 or 3 times, not counting power outages, during the last year and the modem reconnected by it'self after a short time.

New Poster

This happens to me constantly. Tech has been out, I've replaced modem and router. Sometimes it helps if I switch back and forth between the regular and guest accounts. Is this a Comcast issue that I should call them to come back?

New Poster

I am having the same issue. It is getting worst, in the meantime, comcast just raising my bill from $130/mo to $230/mo.