Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Modem is messed up

New Poster

Modem is messed up

The led lights around the Ethernet ports on my modem are glowing green and orange and is disabling my ability to use a wired connection, I have a PC I need a wired connection. Though for some reason even though the wired connection doesn't work I can still use a wireless connect. What do the green and orange lights mean and how do I fix this
Regular Contributor

Re: Modem is messed up

Green usually indicates you have a device connected

Amber usually is used for traffic between devices

Depending on what type of Modem you have it may only support 1 direct device vs your Router that supports multiple devices.  My modem won't issue an IP to get to the internet when I have more than 1 device connected but, after it's booted I can connect a secondary device to manage / view logs on the Modem.  

Expert

Re: Modem is messed up

What is the exact make and model number of your "modem" ? FWIW, there is a difference between a stand-alone cable modem, a stand-alone router, and a combination modem/router gateway device. Many people these days are calling the combo gateway devices "modems". To avoid confusion, these terms should not be used interchangeably as they are currently are.