Community Forum

Modem going bad or bad service?

Frequent Visitor

Modem going bad or bad service?

Issue:  Internet connectivity constantly drops.

Only Viable Workaround: Restart router.

Since 5/19/2019, my internet loses connectivity every couple of hours (on average), sometimes longer other times shorter.  That is also the day my router of 12 years, Linksys WRT54G (pure beast), was bricked.  I purchased a new Linksys ea6100.  I noticed immediately that download speeds tripled.  I didn't feel bad about purchasing a new router since I felt like I got my moneys worth and it was time to upgrade for the additional wireless connectivity anyway.

However, the past month has been the worst internet connectivity I've had since my dial-up days.

I noticed at first that I would lose connectivity to the internet constantly.  When I tried to access the router to troubleshoot, I could not connect.  Even pinging the router timed out.  Only after rebooting did the network come back.  I've tried a different ethernet cable, turning off wireless, disabling IPv6, setting MTU to 1500, waiting a month to make sure the problem isn't going away.  Nothing has worked.  I currently have 4 devices that use the router, but I've tested with only 1 and the connectivity still drops.

I feel like this isn't a router issue because it only becomes unresponsive when connected to the modem.  If the modem isn't connected it runs fine.  Maybe the modem is going bad?  It is over 7 years old (Ubee DDM3513).  I tried the troubleshooting step on the main page where it restarts the modem, and when the modem came back on my router was unresponsive and had to be restarted.  I think whatever is being done on the modem side during this process is causing the router to freeze.  Now I'm starting to think whatever that is, is what caused my old router to brick.  Maybe the new router has protocols in place to keep it from breaking? 

I haven't put in a support ticket yet, but can if needed.  I'm not very hopeful, but appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Modem going bad or bad service?

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 Username should be user Password should also be user

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Here is a PDF manual. It shows the user interface screens for reference;

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ubee+DDM3513&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=Ubee+DDM3513&aqs=chrome..69...

Scroll down a bit to it (PDF).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

DownStream

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 621000000 633000000 639000000 645000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock)
Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 25 27 28 29
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec)
5.360537 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537
Interleave Depth I=32
J=4
I=32
J=4
I=32
J=4
I=32
J=4
Power Level
(dBmV)
5.10 6.47 6.68 6.67
RxMER
(d
35.25 35.78 35.97 36.39
Correctable
Codewords
72 49 63 47
Uncorrectable
Codewords
1612 1432 1433 1344

Upstream

US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0
Channel ID 42 41 43 44
Frequency
(Hz)
23700000 17300000 30100000 36500000
Ranging Status Success Success Success Success
Modulation 64QAM 64QAM 64QAM 64QAM
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec)
5120 5120 5120 5120
Mini-Slot Size 1 1 1 1
Power Level
(dBmV)
45.25 46.50 45.25 45.00
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 1 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0

Expert

Hmmm.... The stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time. You may want to keep an eye on them to see if they intermittently change drastically. The SNR's are a tad on the low side but that may be just an inaccuracy / quirk of the measuring mechanism. That is only a 4 downstream channel modem. It's a bit long in the tooth. You may be better off with a newer model that has more channels. It would be better at peak times of network traffic / congestion.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'll look into getting a new modem.

Expert

YMMV. No guarantees that it is the problem, but there may be some intermittent hardware problem with it. Or maybe it just doesn't play nice with that particular make / model of router. Either way, a modem upgrade is a good investment ! Good luck ! Post back with how things turn out.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a good option for modem?  I assume more expensive the better?  I was going to rent another one, but it is 13$ a month and when I checked Amazon most pay for themselves within a year.

Expert

You could try renting one from them just for a month to see if that was the problem or not. Which speed tier are you subscribed too ?

Frequent Visitor

It's just the 60Mbps.  I probably should just rent since it is the cheaper solution to confirm.  I can always buy one later.  Thanks for the help.

Expert

If you do decide to buy, I highly recommend this one;

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-SB6183-Package-Black/dp/B01ITIXYR0

16 channels. Rock solid proven performer. Highly regarded !

Official Employee

Hi sqlowns. Thank you for creating a post on our Forum. If you need assistance getting a rental modem setup or shipping to you, I can help get that ordered for you. If so, please send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you. Click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile, then click the link that says "Send a message". There you can private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Just posting an update.

I setup a new modem a couple days ago.  Unfortunately the issue persists.  I'm starting to think the router is just bad.  I connected my PC directly to the modem and don't seem to have an issue.  I also noticed that some settings on the router are being set back to the default or never being changed to begin with.  For example, I noticed the wireless 2.4Ghz name/password were the default values, but not the Wireless 5Ghz info.  Maybe one of the memory chips is bad?  I also notice if I try to download a file at full speed after about 1 Gb downloaded the router becomes unresponsive and needs a reboot.  Capping the download rate seems to keep it from freezing.  Whenever I click on the Media Prioritization tab, it just throws a generic error.  Never buying Linksys again. 

I will follow up once more when I have a new router configured.

Official Employee

Thanks for the update, sqlowns. I agree, a new router is a good next step. Please let us know if we can help any further. We are happy to help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The new router seems to have resolved the issue.  Thanks for the help.