Community Forum

Modem for 400Mb with voice - Any options besides Netgear CM1150V or Arris SBV3202?

Regular Visitor

Modem for 400Mb with voice - Any options besides Netgear CM1150V or Arris SBV3202?

Today I subscribed to a new package that includes 400 Mb internet and voice.  My current SB 6141 modem isn't compatible, and mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com says I have two choices of eMTA: the Netgear CM1150V or Arris SBV3202.  I only need an eMTA, not a wireless gateway, and I won't be using the voice capability.  Problem is, the CM1150V isn't available yet, and the Arris uses the PUMA6 chipset, which I had a terrible experience with in an SB6190.

Are there any acceptable/compatible eMTA alternatives?  The my device info site only lists these two, though it also lists a few gateways (Netgear C7100V, Motorola MT7711, and ARRIS SVG2482AC).

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Modem for 400Mb with voice - Any options besides Netgear CM1150V or Arris SBV3202?

The only approved devices that will handle 400Mbps w/voice are gateway devices. The Netgear C7100V is probably the best choice in the group that is currently available. 

Instead, consider purchasing a DOCSIS 3.1 device so you have extra stability and some future proofing. 

You can couple it with another modem that does voice only. You can pick up a refurbished Arris TM822G on eBay for about $30. If you go this route, make sure the seller accepts returns so you don't get stuck with a bad device. 

There is a plain list of approved devices here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/m-p/3109887#M28...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Modem for 400Mb with voice - Any options besides Netgear CM1150V or Arris SBV3202?

I was running a dual modem setup (ARRIS SB8200 + ARRIS TM722G) for a long time, as I couldn't (and still can't) get a retail Gigabit capable eMTA.

You could also temporarily lease a Comcast gateway (recommend the XB6-T /CGM4140COM if you can get it, stay away from the XB3's as they have Puma 6 chipsets also) until the CM1150V or other acceptable device is available. You can always bridge the gateway to a personal router. 

Admittedly it'll cost you a $11-$13/mo lease fee, but it might be worth it for you to do this rather than buy a modem or gateway now that you're not completely comfortable with. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Nerdburg and darkangelic, thanks for the responses.  I've always owned my modems, but I was thinking the lease route might be the best short-term until the new Netgear is available, I like the idea of future-proofing with DOCSIS 3.1.  Right now my SB6141 is still working even though it's not supported, so I may just use that until the Netgear is released, and only lease if it stops working.

Thanks again!

Expert

@imkdd wrote:

Right now my SB6141 is still working even though it's not supported, so I may just use that until the Netgear is released, and only lease if it stops working.

FWIW, the SB6141 is still on their "Approved Modems List". Just not for that speed.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6141-336