Community Forum

Modem Speed

Contributor

Modem Speed

I saw an arris modem that shows speed up to 1750MBPS.  Is that a good speed?  Also how can I tell how fast my modem is now?  Please don't be too technical.

Thank You

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Modem Speed

Here's a link to the Comcast speed test: http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

What is the exact make and model number of your current modem ?

Which speed tier are you currently subscribed to ?

Expert

Hi @ECouture,

The speeds that manufacturers advertise are generally silly, you'll never see those speeds in the real world. 

Go to http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com and you can see your speed tier and your current modem. You can also see approved devices for your speed tier. 

Be aware that you either need a modem AND router or a combo device known as a gateway. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

I took the speed test from the link that you sent.  This is what it gave to me.  download speed 53.0 mbps & upload speed 12.3 mbps.  That seems really slow compared to what I have seen.  I now have an Arris modem but I don't know the model.

How would I get a faster speed with Comcast?  Thank you for your help.

Contributor

my speed seems to be very low.  download is 53 and upload is 12.  How would I get a faster speed?  

Thank you for your help.

Silver Problem Solver

@ECouture wrote:

my speed seems to be very low.  download is 53 and upload is 12.  How would I get a faster speed?  

Thank you for your help.

Which type of connection are you using - wifi or Internet?  Wifi will always be slower than ethernet.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

@ECouture wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I'll ask again. Which speed tier are you currently subscribed to ? The model number of the modem would also be helpful.

Contributor

The modem speed I have shows 250.  I know we have an Arris but I don't know which model.  It was bought quite some time ago.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well FWIW, if the model can't support it, you won't get 250.