Community Forum

Modem Registered to Another Account??

New Poster

Modem Registered to Another Account??

I bought a supposedly new modem but when I tried to activate the modem, I received a message to call xfinity. When I called xfinity, it referred me to their chat. The chat person told me my modem was already registered to another account and that I should rent one of their modems instead. I’m seeing people have similar issues and a Comcast employee helping them. Do these issues actually get resolved? Any way for me to fix this without having to return the item, buy a new one, trying until it finally works?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Modem Registered to Another Account??

Where did you buy it? Was it factory new or refurbished?

I had some trouble activating my new modem that I purchased on Amazon. It wouldn't surprise me if Comcast intentional gives these errors in hope that you will give up and rent from them.

Definitely call them and have them walk you through it. They got mine working pretty quickly.

Official Employee

Hi there, Bebe5. 

It depends. Is it a Comcast modem you bought? Some areas we sell them but most we do not. I can look into your account to double check. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, @Bebe5

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out and make another post!

Thank you for being a part of our forums! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!