Community Forum

Modem Firmware Update

Regular Visitor

Modem Firmware Update

So I've been at this for a couple of weeks now, I am frustrated and for sure if I had a better option for an ISP I'd be calling them by now. 

The situation is simple I bought a Netgear C7000v2 Modem/Router a few weeks ago. The firmware on the equipment is V1.02.04 and it needs to be V1.02.08.

I've talked to Netgear for multiple times for hours at a time and there isn't anything they can do. 

I've done the same with Xfinity techs and they have consistently said that it is against policy. And I'm thinking ok well that's a bad policy but whatever. Well I've finally gotten around to doing some reading and from the policy regarding customer owned equipment it says:

"You agree that by using the Service(s), we, or our authorized agents and equipment manufacturers, are authorized to send code updates to the Customer Equipment, including, but not limited to, modems and digital interactive televisions with CableCARDs, at any time we determine it is necessary to do so. Such code updates may change, add or remove features or functionality of the Customer Equipment or the Service(s)"

Xfinity Tech's have also stated that they can't service 3rd party equipment because of liability - if something were to happen. Well turns out that's Strike two:

"NEITHER WE NOR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS OR BUSINESS PARTNERS, SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER AS THE RESULT OF THE VOIDING OF ANY SUCH WARRANTIES. NEITHER WE NOR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS OR BUSINESS PARTNERS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS, OR DESTRUCTION TO THE CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT EXCEPT AS MAY BE CAUSED BY GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT."

Conclusion: Xfinity techs are either poorly trained in that they don't know their own policy or they straight up lied to me to avoid doing work. Either way get it together Xfinity. But to top it all off I'm paying for internet service that I can't use because my Modem still is on the old firmware.

What can I DO? Who do I really need to talk to???

New Poster

Re: Modem Firmware Update

Go to netgear supoprt and download NETGEAR genie. That app will help you to upgrade the firmwar of the modem. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C7000V2.aspx#download

Regular Visitor

So I've been through that page and it's software for Netgear's management app - firmware for modem's isn't found on their website. Thanks though.

I tried calling again last night and got through to a higher tier tech. So far he has been more capable than anyone else I've talked to on their end. I'll be sure to post his findings when he is done.

Expert

@luantran13 wrote:

Go to netgear supoprt and download NETGEAR genie. That app will help you to upgrade the firmwar of the modem. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C7000V2.aspx#download

An end user can NOT update it. Only the cable company can.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!