Community Forum

Modem Connection Problems - Chicagoland

New Poster

Modem Connection Problems - Chicagoland

Message contains an attachment

I've been having a connection problems with my Comcast internet. From what I can tell, my home router wasn't getting a WAN ip address from Comcast. I performed the following steps to try and resolve the problem without success:

1. Rebooted both home router and the Comcast modem (full power off and disconnected the coax connection), no help
  2. Upgraded the ASUS RT-AC68U to the latest software/firmware (3.0.0.4.384_21045), no help
  3. I went to the Comcast store and replaced the modem, no help
  4. Scheduled a Technician to come onsite, but the problem cleared for a week, so I cancelled the visit.
  5. After problem returned, I followed the first step again, no help
  6. I purchase a Aris Surfboard, no help
  7. I purchased a Motorola MB 7420, no help

I was able to capture some logs from the Motorola model (see attachments) and found some interesting data. 

Any thoughts on what could be causing these critical errors? Would a Technician be able to fix it versus a level 3 support person?

Modem Errors.PNG
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Modem Connection Problems - Chicagoland

Also post the modem's signal stats.
Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

New Poster

Updated with the conneciton stats. 

Motorola Connection Stats 2.PNG
Diamond Problem Solver

You didn't post the downstream channels. The upstream power is WAY out of spec. Tips you can try;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

New Poster

Updated with more connection info. 

Motorola Connection Stats 1.PNG
New Poster

Thanks for the tips. I only have a single coax pull, so no splitters to worry about. I can certainly replace the connection tips (minus the utility pole). 

Diamond Problem Solver

The downstream power is on the weak side as well. If you can't get any improvement, book a tech visit. Good luck withit ! Post back with how things turn out.

New Poster

What should I be seeing from an acceptable range on the Upstream and Downstream stats? I want to make sure it's good after I repalce the tips.  

Diamond Problem Solver

Message contains a hyperlink