Community Forum

Modem Channels

Frequent Visitor

Modem Channels

Last night around 1:00 a.m. Internet went down for about 30 to 45 minutes.  It now seems to be working OK, but I just checked the modem status page and it only shows three Upstream Channels.  I pretty sure there are normally four.  Is there a reason for this and is it any big deal?   Did a speed check and I'm getting 300 mbps.  So it doesn't seem to be affecting that.

This is in the event log, which I have no idea what it means:

Tue Mar 19 07:16:56 2019

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=78:96:84:ea:0f:b4;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:82:c8:50;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

There were a whole lot more entries that I deleted after the Internet came back up.  I assumed they were all about the neighborhood outage due to the time and date.

Expert

Re: Modem Channels

FWIW, that time is the beginning of their window for performing system maintenance.

Are you sure that there were 4 upstream channels before because some local systems still offer only 3. 

Have you tried power-cycling the modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm certain threre were four channels.  Rebooted the modem and no change.  What I'm worried about is the signal strength.   With four I had 50, 51, 51 and 52.   Now I have 52.0, 51.8 and 51.3.  Once before I had problems with disconnects, because the signal was 53.0.  I removed all the splitters and they installed a power booster.  After that for a while all four channels were 49, but I have noticed they have got higher over time.  I wonder if the booster is still working.  Plus I know warm weather is going to make them higher, so I'm worried about my connection come Summer.

Expert

Yep that's on the high side. That can cause the un-bonding of channels.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

So who do I connect to find out  about the missing channel?   I know if I call customer service and say I'm missing a modem channel, I'll probably be asked if that's a premium channel.  LOL

Expert

There is an RF signal / connection quality problem. If there is nothing that you can do to improve it, then it's best to get a tech out to investigate / correct it.

Frequent Visitor

Finally, got through to customer service rep.  Tells me I will be charged $40 to have tech come into house to check why my Internet signal is so weak, because I own my modem.  That's total BS.  The problem is with their signal, not my modem.

Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 51.8 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 51.5 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 51.0 dBmV
Frequent Visitor

Tech is here and doesn't even have a meter to read the signal.   Let's try this and let's try this..  Doing nothing, but making signal worse.   I'm not tech, but common sense would tell you that first thing you do is read the signal coming into the house.  If that's bad you know the problem is on the pole outside.

Highlighted
Expert

Call in and complain ! Get another tech out !

Frequent Visitor

Well they replaced the signal booster and the splitter right outside my front door where the line comes off the pole and goes to first and second floor of my home and I still have Upstream of 51.5, 51.5 and 51.8.  They claim the problem has to be at the pole, because they said they changed everything they could.  So they said they would put in a maintenance request to check the connection at the pole.   Still say someone with a meter should have checked the signal at each point starting at where the line comes to the splitter from the pole.

Frequent Visitor

Just keeps getting better.  I just noticed the two TVs that run off the same line coming in the house as the Internet the picture is breaking up on a lot of channels.   So now have an appointment for that, and someone is supposed to check the line on the pole, but can't tell me when that will be.

Frequent Visitor

Tech that came today was a Comcast employee and had a signal meter.   Problem with TV and Internet signal is due to the signal coming into the house.  So all the time that was wasted by sending out a contractor without a signal meter on Wednesday.  The tech today said a maintenance request will be submitted to correct the problem with the connection at the pole.   So hopefully the signal will be improved enough that I no longer will need the signal booster for my Internet.

Frequent Visitor

Oh how I hate this company. I'm very close to going to FIOS.  I called today and neither tech put in a maintenance request.  I'm given a ticket number 048768754 and later some woman calls and says she needs to check with the supervisor.  Says she checked with supervisor and now techs claim there was no problem with the signal coming into the house and there are no problems in my area.  We aren't talking about my area.  We are talking about my connection at the pole and the signal going into my house.

These are the Upstream levels with a signal booster.   Without the booster I have no Internet.

1 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 52.3 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 51.8 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 52.0 dBmV

Frequent Visitor

Upstream Signal

Oh how I hate this company. I'm very close to going to FIOS. I called today and neither tech put in a maintenance request. I'm given a ticket number 048768754 and later some woman calls and says she needs to check with the supervisor. Says she checked with supervisor and now techs claim there was no problem with the signal coming into the house and there are no problems in my area. We aren't talking about my area. We are talking about my connection at the pole and the signal going into my house.

These are the Upstream levels with a signal booster. Without the booster I have no Internet.

1 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 52.5 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 52.0 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 52.0 dBmV

Frequent Visitor

Re: Upstream Signal

FINALLY got someone here that knew what he was doing.  He went up on the pole and replaced the end of the cable and plugged me into another connection.   That brought my Internet Upstream signal down into the 50's, but he said something else wasn't right and maintenance needed to be done.  I'm thinking Oh no here were go again, but about an hour ago someone showed up and did some work up on the pole.  I still need to use the signal booster, but none of my TV channels are breaking up and I'm getting the best Upstream signal I have ever had.

1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 48.0 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 48.0 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 47.8 dBmV

Expert

Still a tad on the high side, but better. Hopefully, they won't deviate too much when the full heating of the Summer season takes place. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

I think I'm good, because two years ago when I was losing my connection because the Upstream was too high (In 53's), and the booster was installed and they replaced the line from the pole to my home all my Upstream channels were in the 49's.  I haven't had any connect problems since then even with them in the 52's.  I just knew with them being in the 52's I was going to lose the connection once Summer comes.  I knew something had to be wrong with the signal coming into the house, since nothing had changed in the house the Upstream signal just kept slowly going up over the last two years.

Expert

Understood.