Community Forum

Moca and Arris SVG2482AC Modem

New Poster

Moca and Arris SVG2482AC Modem

I recently went with Comcast/Xfinity as my TV/internet/phone provider.  The internet and phone work just fine.  The issue is with my TV.  I had purchased an Arris SVG2482AC since the Xfinity web site said it was compatible and I wanted to use my own modem.  I do have a rather unusual TV setup in that the only cable to it is a Cat 6 ethernet left over from a previous Prism installation.  The technicial checked and the Arris modem (which looks identical to the Xfinity except for color) didn't have moca and that moca was the only way to run data to the TV.  As an interim setup, I'm using the Xfinity modem until I can figue out either a usable substitute for the Xfinity provided one or find a way to add moca to the Arris.  It was NOT convenient to run coax to the TV otherwise, that would have been done.  So my questions are:

1.  Is there a suitable substitute for the Xfinity branded one I now have that has modem/router/moca/telephone/wifi?

2.  Is there a way to add moca to the Arris I have sitting right here?  

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Moca and Arris SVG2482AC Modem

@dgaldrich wrote:

I recently went with Comcast/Xfinity as my TV/internet/phone provider.  The internet and phone work just fine.  The issue is with my TV.  I had purchased an Arris SVG2482AC since the Xfinity web site said it was compatible and I wanted to use my own modem.  I do have a rather unusual TV setup in that the only cable to it is a Cat 6 ethernet left over from a previous Prism installation.  The technicial checked and the Arris modem (which looks identical to the Xfinity except for color) didn't have moca and that moca was the only way to run data to the TV.  As an interim setup, I'm using the Xfinity modem until I can figue out either a usable substitute for the Xfinity provided one or find a way to add moca to the Arris.  It was NOT convenient to run coax to the TV otherwise, that would have been done.  So my questions are:

1.  Is there a suitable substitute for the Xfinity branded one I now have that has modem/router/moca/telephone/wifi?

2.  Is there a way to add moca to the Arris I have sitting right here?  

Thanks.

As an answer to your questions:

1.  Unfortunately no. You'll have to keep the xFi Gateway you have from Comcast.
  2.  In relation to previous question, the MoCA hardware on the SVG2482AC is disabled and can't be turned on. 

In addition, you won't be able to run a MoCA data stream to the TV anyway unless you have an existing X1 cable box. However, if you have an alternate TV you can hook up an X1 cable box to, you can opt for the wireless/ethernet enabled Xi5 cable box that doesn't need a coax feed., but you will need to keep leasing the xFi gateway. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Moca and Arris SVG2482AC Modem

Thanks for the information.  I should have added a third question -- Is there a reasonable combination of modem/moca box and wifi router (or moca/router and modem/wifi, or whatever as a mix and match)?  Not commited to the Arris modem.