Community Forum

Moca WIFI extender (WCB3000N) not showing coax connection.

Frequent Visitor

Moca WIFI extender (WCB3000N) not showing coax connection.

Hi all.  Like many, i have been looking for a reliable wifi extender for some time as I was not happy with the current available tech.

Upon reading about MOCA and the actiontec WCB3000N i was sure i found my solution.

ABout me.

X1 System, main box, 3 "anyrooms", 2 digital converters

Modem Router (TG1682G) in basement, hard wired to PC, XBone, PS4, wifi to various phones/tablets printers.

Im a pretty advanced user who is very familar with networking, wifi, port forwarding, etc.

I ordered the WCB3000N from amazon and it was easy enough to install (although all support/documentation is very limited... I pretty much used amazon comments and web searches to research the extender)

I first tried the extender on our main floor living room (near smart TV/blueray player, area has wifi coverage but it drops on tablets and can be in/at at tiimes).  Very easy/straight-forward install.  But cannot get the COAX light to turn on.

I have enabled moca on the router.

I get both the 2.4/5G networks with amazing signal but cant obtain an IP.

Assuming this is bc it is not getting a coax signal? (i.e. no coax light)?

Have tried at different coax outlets all with identical results.

Have tried connecting straight to wall jack as well with moca spllitters.  Same results.

Any thoughts?

I have one question... As mentioned before, there is litte/no support for the actiontec and from reading many reviews it is still not clear to me if i also need the ECB2500C (Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter)

I have read specific comcast/xfinity reviews that said they only needed the WCB3000N though?

Also, i have read numerous times that comcast is coming out with their own moca wifi extender but unknown timeframes and (assuming) additional monthly costs are not something i would prefer over my own solutions.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Re: Moca WIFI extender (WCB3000N) not showing coax connection.

one additional "odd" detail.

This makes no sense to me, but after enabling moca on the router, my 3 anyroom DVRs could not connect to the master X1 box.  I was on with Xfinity support for about an hour trouble shooting and the tech (who was very helpful) said each of the anyroom boxes were coming up with a "incorrect moca signal" and that would require a tech.  Scheduled a tech visit.

About an hr later i figred i would disable moca on the router and alll 3 boxes immediatley came back up.

How could the router (TG1682G) enable/disable moca have anything to do with the X1 anyroom boxes? (i was able to cancel the tech house call at least)

Pretty confusing.  

Any thoughts?

Gold Problem Solver

Hoots711 wrote:

one additional "odd" detail.

This makes no sense to me, but after enabling moca on the router, my 3 anyroom DVRs could not connect to the master X1 box.  I was on with Xfinity support for about an hour trouble shooting and the tech (who was very helpful) said each of the anyroom boxes were coming up with a "incorrect moca signal" and that would require a tech.  Scheduled a tech visit.

About an hr later i figred i would disable moca on the router and alll 3 boxes immediatley came back up.

How could the router (TG1682G) enable/disable moca have anything to do with the X1 anyroom boxes? (i was able to cancel the tech house call at least)

Pretty confusing.  

Any thoughts?

MOCA enabling on gateway does indeed affect the MOCA communications between X1 boxes...  it has been always recommended to disable MOCA on a gateway that coincides with any installation of X1 boxes.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

geek46 wrote:

MOCA enabling on gateway does indeed affect the MOCA communications between X1 boxes...  it has been always recommended to disable MOCA on a gateway that coincides with any installation of X1 boxes.

thanks for your reply.  

So what is the point of having an X3 gateway (that they sort of advertise MOCA on) if it is not compatabile with their own X1 boxes?

Diamond Problem Solver

The x1 communication is between the boxes using MOCA and has nothing to do with a MOCA capable gateway which would extend the internet from the gateway.  The cable boxes do not use the gateway MOCA, is any shape or form to function and do not need a internet connection from the gateway.

There can be interference on the MOCA if the two systems can't separate those MOCA frequencies.  Any MOCA host for the internet portion would need to be configured as not to step on the X1 MOCA frequencies.

Frequent Visitor

JayInAlg wrote:

The x1 communication is between the boxes using MOCA and has nothing to do with a MOCA capable gateway which would extend the internet from the gateway.  The cable boxes do not use the gateway MOCA, is any shape or form to function and do not need a internet connection from the gateway.

There can be interference on the MOCA if the two systems can't separate those MOCA frequencies.  Any MOCA host for the internet portion would need to be configured as not to step on the X1 MOCA frequencies.

I follow you but there is one problem with that explanation.

After further testing, as soon as I enable gateway MOCA, my X1 anyroom boxes go out.  And as soon as i disable gateway MOCA they come back. This is with having no other MOCA devices even plugged in.   As far us I can tell/see there is no MOCA configurations on the gateway (to change its channel/frequency).  This would lead me to believe that the MOCA enable/disable is a completely useless function in an X1 system with the TG1682G gateway. 

If there is a way to configure MOCA frequency, perhaps i could get the Actiontecs to work.  But right now it seem im out of luck.  The frustrating thing is not being able to close the issue out as I cant really find a solid answer with the Actiontec or Xfinity techs or different forums.

Sure would be nice if anyone could confirm that they have an Actiontec WCB3000N working on an X1 system (TG1682 or any other gatewaY) and if they need the ECB2500C (or not).

Frequent Visitor

Hoots711 wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

I follow you but there is one problem with that explanation.

After further testing, as soon as I enable gateway MOCA, my X1 anyroom boxes go out.  And as soon as i disable gateway MOCA they come back. This is with having no other MOCA devices even plugged in.   As far us I can tell/see there is no MOCA configurations on the gateway (to change its channel/frequency).  This would lead me to believe that the MOCA enable/disable is a completely useless function in an X1 system with the TG1682G gateway. 

If there is a way to configure MOCA frequency, perhaps i could get the Actiontecs to work.  But right now it seem im out of luck.  The frustrating thing is not being able to close the issue out as I cant really find a solid answer with the Actiontec or Xfinity techs or different forums.

Sure would be nice if anyone could confirm that they have an Actiontec WCB3000N working on an X1 system (TG1682 or any other gatewaY) and if they need the ECB2500C (or not).

Hoots711, were you able to solve your problem?  Did you see my post the other day about the WCB + ECB Kit?  I've hooked up both, but started with the WCB only and MoCA enabled on my DPC3939 gateway, which worked with no problem.  Little experience thus far though, started last weekend, only once did MoCA get disabled on the DPC3939 for no reason, and most importantly, no issues with DVR or any of our 4 cable boxes.  All of my currently 7 active outlets are run from an 8-way splitter outside the house.  Gateway is sharing one line with one of the cable boxes through a 2-way splitter, so my setup is fairly simple.

My only issue is with the WCB3000N, I can't enable MoCA privacy.  Some type of encryption I understand, not sure if I really need it, using a POE filter anyway, but since it's available why not use it. Actiontec says it should be enabled by default, but that's not the case on my unit.  And as soon as I would try to enable and save, it would lock up the WCB such that I won't be able to log in anymore, at the same time the Coax status light would go out.  Only reset will change that. Raised the issue to Actiontec, still waiting on a useful response after the first canned didn't help.

New Poster

It seemed to me as if the xfinity router was not going to be happy unless it was the controlling MOCA node, and I think ActionTec's stuff will take that role if it doesn't find a controlling node already present.

So, disconnect all your MOCA devices, enable MOCA on the xfinity box and maybe reboot it for good measure.  Then you can add your ActionTec extenders, all of which will find there is already a "controlling MOCA node" present.

Two years too late, it appears, but I hope this helps someone out.

Diamond Problem Solver

Two year old dead thread now being closed.