Community Forum

MoCA Won't Remain Enabled

New Poster

MoCA Won't Remain Enabled

I recently ran additional coax in our home and now the MoCA on our router won't stay on. Every time I switch it from disabled to enabled, the router says it's updating, then refreshes to show it still marked enabled.

What's even more confusing, my MoCA devices can connect, although sporadically will lose connection.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Originally we had two runs in our house - master bedroom and living room. I branched off the living room to four other rooms. I introduced four splitters along the way to make it work. Don't know if that would be the reason this is happening?
Expert

Re: MoCA Won't Remain Enabled

First. Make sure that the splitters are MoCA compliant (5-1675Mhz).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

The splitter used to split the incoming signal says it's a "MoCA splitter", but the frequency range stops somewhere in the 1500Mhz range. I'd have to check to get the exact number. The rest I bought that support 0-2.4Ghz specifically so it would support MoCA.
Expert

0-2.4Ghz splitter is engineered more for satellite systems. It can cause other problems by allowing high frequency noise ingress. You don't want to go that high. This is a good MoCA splitter;

http://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0?tag=ds0233-20 

Bear in mind that the splitters may not be the root cause of the issue. Just sayin'. Good luck with it

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks. Beyond the frequency range of the splitters, would that be too much signal loss? I'm a little unclear on whether each additional splitter degrades signal along the split segments only, or to the entire system.
Expert

@johnhalbert wrote:
Thanks. Beyond the frequency range of the splitters, would that be too much signal loss?

It's more about those splitters allowing / not filtering high frequency noise ingress that doesn't belong on the frequency spectrum in which cable systems operate.

I'm a little unclear on whether each additional splitter degrades signal along the split segments only, or to the entire system.

Any splitters that are daisy chained / in series adds cumulative loss to that particular path. The individual ones don't affect the entire system, just the segments that they split.

New Poster

Thanks for being so helpful. Sorry to ask so many redundant questions.

Does it make a difference that the splitter the source is attached to does actually filter in the proper range? That one was already in the system and looking at it the frequency range is 0-~1600. Or do the devices within the network also produce unwanted noise?
Expert

I'm not quite sure that I understand the questions. Can you please rephrase them ?

New Poster

Sorry, not so clear on the terminology, how to phrase things.

Coax comes into the home on the side of the house. From what I can see it's just a coax cable itself. That coax, which is the source for our cable and internet, is split right there in the box on the side of the house. That splitter is a "MoCA" splitter and filters everything but 0-~1600Mhz. The upper limit is 1500-something. I can't remember the exact number.

My question is - do I still have ingress that introduces noise? Or does that take care of it? Because it would seem like the noise would have to come from one of the devices in our home, since everything outside the desired range is filtered from coming in outside our home.

Does that make sense?
Expert

We can't know if any noise is present whether the source is internal or external without it being tested for. Perhaps it would be best to get a tech out to investigate. They have the tool to test for noise. Splitters aren't designed to block noise but they do so inherently above their upper roll-off frequency. BTW, if you are using MoCA on your home network, there should also be a MoCA (POE/ Point Of Entry) filter present in the main coax line before the first splitter.

New Poster

Okay, makes sense. Ordered recommended splitters and a filter from the same manufacturer.

All of this started when we upgraded our service to gigabit. I did notice there was a filter already, just assumed it was for gigabit. Would these interfere with one another, or is there a proper order they should be installed?
Expert

You don't want to use 2 MoCA filters. Get a tech out. Good luck !