Community Forum

Misleading speed reports by Comcast Speed test?

New Poster

Misleading speed reports by Comcast Speed test?

I am on a 'Performance' plan for my internet service with comcast; from last few days i was noticing slow browsing on my computer as well as Netfilx buffering too often.  I tried recycling my router and modem, but did not see any difference. I checked speedtest.net & speakeasy.net to check speeds and they both reported around 3mbps to 3.5mbps of download speeds and around 5mbps for upload.

I contacted comcast customer support via chat, and they started with having my equipement recycled and then having me connect my laptop directly to modem. Then the supprt tech had me do a speed test using comcast.speedtest.net and it showed about 25mbps for download and 6 mbps download; I was really surprised; and then i tried both speedtest.net & speakeasy.net and they again showed me about 3.5 mbps for the download and  5mbps for upload. I was really taken back by the difference on speed numbers reported by comcast's internal speed test and other 2 sites. Then i tried downloading couple things from online like a Skype executable and a PDF; my browser never showed more than 50kbps speed for download for both of them. 

The support rep started defending the internal comcast speed test as relaiable test; I mean i understand but why would there be difference of upto 6 times the download speed between other sites and internal comcast speed test.  I have completly lost trust on trusting the support anymore. I mean any other person who does not have knowledge of checking multiple ways on their speed can be easily decieved by the speed test reported by internal comcast speed test.  

Has anyone else had same experience with this for their speed issues? I am now being recommended to swap my modem to see if that makes difference.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

New Poster

Re: Misleading speed reports by Comcast Speed test?

I am having exact same problem right now. Internet + Netflix = junk
Expert

Us cable nerds use ShaperProbe. Flash based test are all unreliable.

I am not an employee.
New Poster

i-am-nerdburg, while Flash based tests may be "unreliable", they tend to be consistent.  A T1 will give me aproximately 1.5 MB download and upload no matter how many times I test it through www.speedtest.net.

My Comcast connection used to give me around 18MB down and 4MB up, whenever I tested it.  Now, I am getting between 0.28MB - 12.8MB down and 0.31 - 3.2MB up.  This is regardless of time of day or night.

I go to other locations and their Internet speeds still test out as they always have.

The inconsistency is not with the Speedtest.net site, it is with the Comcast service.

SB209, I too have noticed the same exact thing.  www.speedtest.net and comcast.speedtest.net are providing very different results.  While the Comcast test is showing significantly faster throughput, I cannot even watch a 480p Youtube video without it constantly stopping to buffer.

There is a problem with Comcast's service that they are not acknowledging.  Look at all of the recent reports popping up on the forum.

Silver Problem Solver

speedtest.net is going out to the whole Internet. Comcast's speed test is on it's own internal servers and infrastructure.

Expert

commanguy wrote:

speedtest.net is going out to the whole Internet. Comcast's speed test is on it's own internal servers and infrastructure.

Another difference is that it opens up multiple concurrent data streams/sockets. This is a more true way to max out and reveal the capacity of the pipe.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

My friend, welcome to my world and be my guest. Just as you stated in your complain. Comcast speed test is tricky, and the worst of it is that support reps, who are supposed to solve your problems end up most of the time screwing up your connection speed, moreover, they assure you have a download speed of 12 to 24 mb/s, what a lie, the only speed test software that shows that speed is theirs, I have tested it using 4 different softwares and all of them shows the same speed, no mora than 1.5 mb/s, and sometime less than 500 kb/s when comcast ALWAYS shows from 12 to 24 mbs. NO wonder most of the times I have to watch youtube videos with bothering stops. They know it. Indeed, that's the speed connection to their severs, but a proxy in their servers are configured to limit speed an bandwidth comsuption to 2 mbs maximum. We know that because we move in the computer field, but naive are the ones who know nothing about it and blame it most of the time to their computers' slow performance. I just hope that someday they solve this problem, OR, charge us for the real speed they are offering.

Tags (1)