Community Forum

Message "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" when I run the speed test.

Contributor

Message "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" when I run the speed test.

Using my Xfinity WiFi from home I login to My Account. When I run the speed test I receive the above message, "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network"  "Please ensure you are connected to the network you want to test before continuing."

I am connected to my home network. I hope.

Any ideas?

I have a cgm4140com.

Thank You.

Wanda

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Message "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" when I run the sp

@sfsassz123 wrote:

Using my Xfinity WiFi from home I login to My Account. When I run the speed test I receive the above message, "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network"  "Please ensure you are connected to the network you want to test before continuing."

Any ideas?

I have a cgm4140com.

Thank You.

Wanda

Do you have a wired device (computer) that you can use?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Message "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" when I run the sp

@sfsassz123 wrote:

Any ideas?

I have a cgm4140com.

Thank You.

Wanda

You are currently only connected to your home network, not on the Internet. I would start off by unplugging your modem / router to get them reset.  

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I havent tried using a wired device yet, but i tried using the wifi on my adroid phone and received the same message. It does show my devices connected to the network. I will reset the gateway and will let you know what happens.

It doesn't appear to be affecting my access to the internet but I would like to know why it doesnt see me on my home network.

Stay tuned.

Contributor

Just reset my gateway and when I run the speed test I am still receiving the message "You're not connected to your Xfinity internet home network" .

Any ideas?

Contributor

I  reset the cgm4140. Still getting the message whrn I run a speed test.

Im not sure what you meant when you said "You are currently only connected to your home network, not on the Internet. "  I was, and am, connected to the internet.

Expert

@sfsassz123 wrote:

I  reset the cgm4140. Still getting the message whrn I run a speed test.

Im not sure what you meant when you said "You are currently only connected to your home network, not on the Internet. "  I was, and am, connected to the internet.

I meant that your computer may not have been connected to the site for testing your speed. If you were using wifi the signal could have had to many packet errors (causing repeated sending of signal) to allow speed test to work. Using a hardwired connection between computer and modem-router may have worked better. Otherwise; make sure all cable-connections good and not bad cables (loose cable-ends). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

My WiFi signal is excellent. When I receive the message saying Im not connected to my Home network I press continue and have no problems running a speed test. I get that message using my computer and my phone.  It is not the signal. Im on the internet using my Xfinity WiFi with a excellent signal. 

Reset the gateway and also did a reset. Still getting the same message. It just concerns me that it, (it being Xfinity), doesnt see me on my network.

Any clues?

Expert

I am a little confused with your reply.

Are you saying everything works fine on the Internet, but you get this message everytime you wish to run a speed test? Or are you having problems reaching certain sites on the Internet?

I don't use Comcast for Internet. I have always used DLS for Internet. I only use Comcast for linear cable. I use the Comcast site for testing my Internet speeds (mostly over wifi). I never had any problem using their site or others for testing.

Contributor

Yes,  I am on the internet using my home WiFi and everything works fine and I only receive the message when I run the speed test. Which does run for both ip4 and ip6.

It just concerns me as to why it doesnt see me on my home network.

Ideas?

Expert

@sfsassz123 wrote:

Yes,  I am on the internet using my home WiFi and everything works fine and I only receive the message when I run the speed test. Which does run for both ip4 and ip6.

It just concerns me as to why it doesnt see me on my home network.

Ideas?

It most likely is a "bug" in the coding for that check. If that is the only problem I would just ignore it. The Comcast speed test works fine for me even though I use DSL. I see results that I would expect when running the test. I used to have 6 devices running over WiFi, but now I have my 3D Blu-ray player and 3D UHD tv connected to LAN for the guaranteed minimum speeds from my DSL.

Contributor

A bug in that check? Not sure what you mean by that, but I would think if it was a bug then more people would be reporting it.

It happens everytime I run a speed test from both my computer and my phone and if it is a bug then it needs to be addressed. Correct?

Just saying.

Diamond Problem Solver

How about providing a screenshot of what you see?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Make sure you're on your Comcast gateway's private WiFi network instead of the public "xfinitywifi" or "XFINITY" wifi network.

If you are, then yeah, I suspect a bug in the site or in your browser. Also, connecting to non-encrypted (http) sites has been a bit difficult lately, with Chrome being particularly problematic.

Try these:

1. Clear your browser's cache files.  
  2. Use a different browser.
  3. Use a different speed test site like Fast.com, dslreports.com/speedtest , or Speedtest.net. 

Contributor

I always use my private network.  Its not my browser because I get the same message when I log on using my android phone.

I log on to "My account", then "Manage Internet", and from there I select "Run speed test".

Thats when I get a pop with the above message, "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" . This speed test will provide details about your current connection.

Ideas?

Expert

I just went to the site and ran the speed test. I have never seen any message  other than the normal one to doing the test.

Have you ever considered doing a full retset of yourgateway? That means pushing the "reset" button and reinstalling all devices.

Contributor

comcast test error cropped.jpgerror msg

Attatching screen shot.

Expert

@sfsassz123 wrote:

I always use my private network. 

Humor me and check just to be sure. 

@sfsassz123 wrote:

Its not my browser because I get the same message when I log on using my android phone.

Had you told us that your android phone was giving you the same error message I would've ruled out your browser right away. 

Which now makes me suspect that the culprit is the WiFi connection or maybe even the gateway. 

@sfsassz123 wrote:

I log on to "My account", then "Manage Internet", and from there I select "Run speed test".

Thats when I get a pop with the above message, "You're not connected to your Xfinity Internet home network" . This speed test will provide details about your current connection.

Ideas? 

How about the alternate speed test sites I mentioned? Any reason you can't run them? 

Also, have you tried an Ethernet connection from your computer to the gateway? 

Contributor

Not to be ungrateful but if u check my post on ‎10-15-2018 06:20 PM,  I did say it happens on my phone as well as my computer.

I have done a reset.

And as for going to another speed test site, my problem is not the actual test but It is the message I receive prior to my test.  I want to know why Xfinity doesn't see me on my Home Network.  

Expert

I have read all your posts since you joined the forum.

If your equipment is all Comcast, I would suggest you schedule an appointment for a technician to check out your equipment .

Diamond Problem Solver

I’ve escalated this up to a colleague to ensure your modem is on your account and provisioned properly

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Cool. Thank u for the escalation and I will test using a wired connection and let u know the status.

Official Employee

Hi @sfsassz123!

Thank you for using the forums. I can help investigate the error you are receiving. First, I would also like to know if you get the same error message when your laptop is connected to the modem using an ethernet cord. 

Please let me know your results when you have a chance so I know how to proceed with getting this fixed, or if I can confirm whether or not this is a bug that we are investigating. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@sfsassz123 wrote:

comcast test error cropped.jpgerror msg

Attatching screen shot.

Can't see your screenshot. It may need to be approved by an Admin. You can host it at a free third party pic hosting site as a work-around for now.

Contributor

Have reset gateway to factory numerous times. . When you say reinstall devices, do you mean re-discover devices? i've done that, I've changed wifi name, cleared remembered devices. 

I need to check using ethernet and will advise with results.

Contributor

I still need to test using ethernet. I will update with those results.

Contributor

Im going to test using ethernet connection and will advise with the results.

Contributor

Just logged on using my ethernet connection directly into my cgm4140 and received the same message.

Now what?

Contributor

Just logged on using Ethernet. Still receiving the message that im not connected to my home network.

Official Employee

Hey @sfsassz123

Sorry for the delay. At this point, I'd like to take a deeper look into your account. Can you send me a private message with your first and last name and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

When i click on your name it tells me about you.  Don't see where or how to send u a private message. What is your Email address?

Official Employee

@sfsassz123

I cannot provide my email address since we keep all our conversation here in the forums and private messages. When you click on my name, you should see a blue box in the top right corner that says "Send a Message". 

Contributor

I dont see the box to send you a private message. Sorry.  But I sure have learned alot "about ComcastChe."

Official Employee

Lol, hopefully, good things. I am going to do some research to confirm whether or not your profile is enabled to send private messages. If it'snot, it may take a few hours to be enabled. If that is the case, I will contact you as soon as I get in the office tomorrow because I will be out of the office soon. My working hours are Monday - Friday's 2:30-11 PM MST. 

Keep an eye out for updates from me here. I'll reach out on this public thread when private messaging should be available for you to utilize. 

Contributor

keepin the faith.

Thanks for your input.

Official Employee

You're very welcome. I'm waiting for confirmation that you can send a message. If this is enabled after my shift is over, feel free to send me a private message and I'll respond when I get in. Chat with you soon. 

Official Employee

Hi @sfsassz123

You should now be able to send me a private message. Don't forget to include your first and last name in the body of this message. 

Contributor

I sent you a private message as requested.

FYI: I'm still getting the same message when I run a speed test.

Also, on my cgm4140,  the option " bridge mode ". Not sure what that means in relation to my gateway. And "prefer private connection" option. What is that referring to? 

Expert

“Bridge mode” is for using your gateway as a modem only either connected to one device only or connect to your own primary router.

“Prefer Private Connection” has relation to Xfinity Wi-Fi to prefer your private network if able to connect over Xfinity Wi-Fi.

Contributor

thank you.

Official Employee

Hi @sfsassz123

I wasn't in the office yesterday when you message came in, however, I do have it now and will be replying shortly. 

The information provided by @jweaver0312 is correct regarding Bridge Mode and Prefer Private connection.