Community Forum

MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420 question

New Poster

MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420 question

would this be a good choice for a modem only device for comcast service? is there something better ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H44UJF0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1JCDPLP2335KA&psc=1

Highlighted
Expert

Re: MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420 question

It's on the list of Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways so if you're on a 250 Mbps download tier or lower, without voice service,  you should be fine. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Great info sorry took a while to get back you, I pay for blast service which is 250 or over. I am gathering i should look at a different model, any idea if Comcast will be moving to faster service in future? no sense to by an outdated piece of equipment. what would i be looking for as my son does gaming and i have no clue

Expert

There are faster speed tiers that Comcast offers, (I have their Gigabit tier for instance) but 250 Mbps is pretty good for vast majority of users. For online gaming, the speed isn't as important as the latency (or lag), and honestly, Xfinity Internet more than fast enough to allow online gaming. 

If you're concerned about whether you have enough speed, you can use this pretty nifty online bandwidth calculator to see if your service tier is sufficient for your needs. If you then determine you need faster speed, you can then browse https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to see what modems you can use. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!