Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

MODEM

New Poster

MODEM

I just found out you can’t you’re you’re old xfinity modem that I had with my New xfinity WiFi so do I go buy one from xfinity or what?
Expert

Re: MODEM

Your post is not clear. You can't *what* ?

New Poster

OKAY so I have an old modem that my dad use to have when he first had Xfinity WiFi but then he stop using it now Im an Xfinity user my self and I was wondering could I use his old modem for my WiFi or do I have to get a brand new one
Expert

What is the exact make and model number of it ?

Contributor

Best thing to do is check the Xfinity web site for the current modem list at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ and see if your modem is listed. If your modem is not listed, I would not recommend it as it would not be supported although it may work.

Buying your own equipment is cheaper in the long run. You do have the hassle of getting it set up but setting up a modem is simple if you follow the instructions from Comcast.

You can get any one of the modems listed for your speed or a higher speed tier. I recommend you get a new one and from a place that accepts returns in case you have an issue. When buying a modem, consider more than the cost. Buying the lowest cost one may require you replacing it sooner when it reaches the end of life and no longer supported. One that supports faster speed than your tier will give you room to grow into if Xfinity speeds up your tier like they did last year for my tier or if you decide to up your tier. A modem that has more up load and down load channels will give you more stable speeds and you need IPv6. Xfinity just started a rollout of the DOCSIS 3.1 and the older version 3.0 should be supported for quite a while.

Hope this helps you.

Expert

My question ?

Expert

wrote:

A modem that has more up load and down load channels will give you more stable speeds .

FWIW, even though most, if not all of the newer devices support eight upstream channels, there are only 3 or 4 "upstream" channels currently available everywhere  anyway.