Community Forum

MOCA 2.0 Bonded with CGM4140COM and MOCA bridge

Frequent Visitor

MOCA 2.0 Bonded with CGM4140COM and MOCA bridge

I wanted to check and see if anyone has a similar setup working before I order parts. Currently, the house had gigabit service, two STB's and phone. The downstairs I have wired for ethernet and I have multiple ubiquity endpoints giving good wifi coverage to the entire house.  Everything works fine, however, i have a gaming pc upstairs that I would prefer be wired so i can get better than the 400-500mbps i get through wifi.

The PC is in the same room as one of the cable boxes. I've been led to believe that the Technicolor CGM4140COM has MOCA 2.0 bonded enabled. Assuming cabling and splitters are in spec, If i split the coax upstairs and added an Actiontech or Motorola MOCA bridge, I should be able to get full gigabit speeds, however, I have seen conflicting reports on this working with the CGM4140COM. Does anyone have a similar setup working? If not and the issue is the Technicolor box, has anyone had luck with using a pair of MOCA bridges (one connected to the router's LAN) with the MOCA on the Technicolor disabled? I did a similar setup for a friend with fios using a pair of Moto MM1000's (bypassed the MOCA on his router because it didn't support channel bonding) and it worked perfectly with him getting full gigabit bandwidth to his pc and all 6 of his STB's operating perfectly.

Just trying to figure out if running a drop will be more or less of a hassle than getting comcast's equipment to play ball. Feel free to speak in tech to me.

Expert

Re: MOCA 2.0 Bonded with CGM4140COM and MOCA bridge

The CGM4140COM does have Bonded MoCA 2.0. I have a very similar setup but I use the gateway as the MoCA Controller with only one WCB6200Q and it does not work. It connects but randomly disconnects. If you use two adapters as one bypasing the XB6 (turn its MoCA off unless you have X1), it should be able to work. I traced the issue back to the gateway itself, last I heard it is being invesitagted, since the issue does not occur on the TG1682G (regular MoCA 2.0)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:

The CGM4140COM does have Bonded MoCA 2.0. I have a very similar setup but I use the gateway as the MoCA Controller with only one WCB6200Q and it does not work. It connects but randomly disconnects. If you use two adapters as one bypasing the XB6 (turn its MoCA off unless you have X1), it should be able to work. I traced the issue back to the gateway itself, last I heard it is being invesitagted, since the issue does not occur on the TG1682G (regular MoCA 2.0)

@jweaver0312, i appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Have you conclusively determined that the Technicolor gateway is the issue with the dropped signals and not a cabling issue (i.e, have you replicated the issue with a short run of RG6 from the TG to the bridge)? Why would X1 be affected by disabling MOCA on the gateway and using another device on the LAN as the MOCA controller when everything remains on the same network segment? Is that some sort of software restriction placed by comcast?

Frequent Visitor

Interested to hear from anyone who has a functioning, gigabit connection through MOCA

Expert

@h2co3 wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:

@jweaver0312, i appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Have you conclusively determined that the Technicolor gateway is the issue with the dropped signals and not a cabling issue (i.e, have you replicated the issue with a short run of RG6 from the TG to the bridge)? Why would X1 be affected by disabling MOCA on the gateway and using another device on the LAN as the MOCA controller when everything remains on the same network segment? Is that some sort of software restriction placed by comcast?

Certain X1 equipment, I forget the model numbers of said equipment, require the use of MoCA that can be only from a Comcast gateway. I have conclusively determined and ran the short run test for a MoCA link and it does the same thing. I’ve seen it even drop X1 boxes from its MoCA network. When its tested with an XB3 gateway, then it works perfectly fine.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

So, the X1 issue is basically an artificial restriction put in place by comcast?

Expert

Basically. Since it uses the RDK-B software platform it needs to be to their own RDK-B equipment directly being their newest gateways along with XB3.

Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Basically. Since it uses the RDK-B software platform it needs to be to their own RDK-B equipment directly being their newest gateways along with XB3.

Ok, let me put this all together to see if i'm understanding you correctly:

-There is software in the gateway and in the STB that needs to communicate for X1 to function

-Comcast uses some method to prevent the STB and gateway from communicating through anything but the built-in MOCA interface on the gateway

-As such, connecting a STB to a moca bridge over coax and a second moca bridge to an ethernet port on the gateway will not work.

-Bonded MOCA 2.0 does not function properly on the gateway, so you will never get gigabit over MOCA and functioning X1 STB's on the same physical network segment.

Possible solutions:

-Run a drop of cat6

-Fios

-???

That pretty much cover it?

Expert

@h2co3 wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:

Ok, let me put this all together to see if i'm understanding you correctly:

-There is software in the gateway and in the STB that needs to communicate for X1 to function

-Comcast uses some method to prevent the STB and gateway from communicating through anything but the built-in MOCA interface on the gateway

-As such, connecting a STB to a moca bridge over coax and a second moca bridge to an ethernet port on the gateway will not work.

-Bonded MOCA 2.0 does not function properly on the gateway, so you will never get gigabit over MOCA and functioning X1 STB's on the same physical network segment.

Possible solutions:

-Run a drop of cat6

-Fios

-???

That pretty much cover it?

1. Yes, but it depends on which X1 boxes, some of them need to communicate with the gateway over MoCA. If you have XG1 and XG2 models you should be fine to use the workaround  through disabling the XB6 MoCA to get it to work.

2. This “method” makes sure it works where it’s guaranteed to work since it’s their equipment being used and not third party equipment. 

3. It can still work, but depending on which X1 equipment you have, it can prevent it from working.

4. Yes the gateway does not function properly over MoCA, but you may be able to disable its MoCA, Connect one MoCA bridge by Ethernet from the gateway to coax and then from the coax to the other bridge and to an Ethernet connected device.

Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 , again, thank you for your expertise on this matter. I believe the box downstairs is an Arris XG1 and the one upstairs is a Pace XiD X1. Would you happen to know if both of these will be amenable to the workaround or do you have some sort of master list for the various models?

Expert

The XG1 would be good but the XiD might not be since that is a fully MoCA dependent box. Last time I had that similar box, it didn’t use MoCA to go straight to the XG1, it used the the gateway as the medium to connect to the XG1, but it might have changed to go straight to the XG1 which also gives out a MoCA signal.

As a test to find out if the equipment is good is to temporarily disable the XB6 MoCA and then test out the XiD to make sure it can still access Internet apps and use Live TV and OnDemand.

Frequent Visitor

jweaver0312 and h2co3:

I am considering a setup similar to the setup contemplated by h2co3.  My house has a CGM4140COM Xfinity residential gateway ("RG") and a XG2 STB in the living room plus XiD-P STBs in two bedrooms.  The XiD-P STBs do NOT have tuners, so presumably they get their signal from the 4 tuners in the XG2 via the MoCA 2.0 network.  One of the bedrooms is at the far end of the house from the RG and does not receive WiFi signal. and Xfi Pods do not help.  The distant bedroom also has a gaming computer.  So I am looking for a solution to add wired and wireless internet connection in that distant bedroom through the addition of an ActionTEC WCB6200Q or two ECB6200 adapters and a wirelss access point.

Accordingly, I am very curious about the results of your tests.  Any updates that you can share?

In addition, I am curious whether any of the following workarounds might solve the problem of the CGM4140COM not playing nice with other MoCA 2.0 products:

1. exchange the CGM4140COM RG for a TG3482G RG (Xfinity describes them both as XB6 RGs); 

2. exchange the XiD-P STBs for XG2 STBs with 4 tuners each (Xfinity might balk); or

3. exchange the XiD-P STBs for RNG150N STBs with 1 tuner each (I had those STBs earlier this year).

The third approach would cause the loss of some functionality, e.g, the loss of the RG remote and Pause/Rewind features, but IMO it is worth the loss if the distant bedroom can gain internet access.

Is the problem the XiD-P STBs "talking" with the XB6 RG or the XiD-P STBs (which have no tuners) receiving content from the primary STB or the XB6 RG just being connected to the MoCA 2.0 network (i.e., "talking" to itself)?

Finally, will the same problem exist with any DOCSIS® 3.1 cable modem that uses OFDM and OFDMA channels to increase download speeds?  Doesn't that technology use frequencies that overlap the frequencies used by MoCA 2.0 networks to communicate data thus causing conflicts?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Expert

Since you’re gaming, I would not get the XB6-A. Puma 7 issues.

I have a Technicolor XB6 with one XG1v4-A with 3 XG2v2 boxes and the WCB6200Q and they work flawlessly together without a hitch.

Only one thing I noticed. For some reason the XB6-T MoCA does not pass through “Active Return” Amps for whatever reason.

D3.1 upstream still won’t be seen for years as Full Duplex DOCSIS is on the horizon. However, I believe, in spec does allow for interoperability between DOCSIS and MoCA.

They might complain about multiple XG2s since technically you’re only supposed to have one primary box itself and 3 XiD boxes before you can get another primary one.

Frequent Visitor

jweaver0312:

Your reply is very helpful.  Please expand a little on your observation that in systems using the XB6-T gateway (Modele CGM4140COM), the "MoCA does not pass through “Active Return” Amps." In our situation the primary splitter on the side of the house is a CommScope Model CSMAPDU5VP which has a cable powered by a CommScope power inserter attached to the "Out 1/Power In" connector. the XB6-T is connected to the "Out 2" connector and the room in which we plan to install an ActionTEC WBC6200Q is connected to the "Out 3" connector.  Do you think that the ActionTEC WCG6200Q would be able to communicate direct with the XB6-T (or at least an ActionTEC ECB6200 installed immediately upstream of the XB6-T)?