Community Forum

MDD Message Timeout, Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging t3 timeout

Frequent Visitor

MDD Message Timeout, Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging t3 timeout

I've been getting a lot of errors on the modem and would like my connection to be as clean as possible. About a week or two ago I was getting a lot of packet loss which has since been fixed. However, I'm noticing now that my speed is slower then it should be. My main concern is I had an electrician out to run cat 6 cable for hardwired connection and we ran some extra cable wires also. I asked him to dedicate a line off the main for the modem but all the coaxial is routed to a single splitter for the entire house. Here's a copy of my modem page. Could that cause this? 

Modem Errors.PNGModem Status.PNG

Frequent Visitor

Re: MDD Message Timeout, Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging t3 timeout

Still having intermittent service outages from random modem reboots. Just to recap this started with a bunch of packet loss which was resolved however upon the packet loss issue I’m still getting random modem reboots. You have to be actively using the network to catch one of these events. Based on that knowledge I’m a little skeptical the tech visit will solve anything but will keep posting after the fact in hopes of getting a permanent resolution.
Expert

FWIW, there are a lot of uncorrectable errors and the upstream power is approaching the high side. Good luck with the tech visit ! Please post back with the outcome.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Well turns out the electrician left the wrong splitters on. They were swapped out for known to be good ones. Decent connection lasted for about 12 hours. Yes i saw the high uncorrectsbles which is what made me think there is something out of my control going on.
None the less I’m still having the same issues despite the tech visit. I scheduled another senior tech to come back this morning. Now apparently I’ve hounded xfinity so much they’re telling me the modem is potentially the problem. Will continue the thread as i navigate the system. If senior tech finds nothing today I’m going to buy another modem to try swapping into my network.
Frequent Visitor

Critical(3) "16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel 3;CM-MAC=2c:58:4f:fe:08:25;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:70:06:72;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"

Additionally based on this issue i have a weird feeling the upstream power is dipping out of spec into the high side. This isn’t the first time this error has appeared and it seems to send my network into a firestorm or resets and chaos. Could be a side effect of the initial disconnect though.
Frequent Visitor

Latest tech visit revealed nothing besides what we had already known. Said the signal is a little high at the street and he would have xfinity come out to tone that down if we wanted.
In all honesty i am against that and figured before going that route i would buy a different modem to test weather or not i would run into the same issue. Purchased a Netgear cm1000 and i haven’t had a single t3 time out since. Uptime has only been 36 hours. Now i do have some uncorrectables but they are nowhere near the levels of the arris sb8200. During similar time frames. Had one issue of network slowing but haven’t been able to recreate the daily modem reboots and t3 time outs.
My personal opinion is that the arris sb8200 has issues with over heating. Typical users will just use internet and never check to make sure connection snr power levels and errors are all aligning correctly. Had i not witnessed a few service outages i would have never checked to see the growing list of errors. This is the second arris modem I’ve purchased in the last 5 years and am really disappointed with their service. The puma 6 chipset which resulted in a class action law suit then this modem which has a bunch of complaints as well if you start checking around forums and reviews. Anyway just thought i would recap what I’ve picked up so far with the whole experience and maybe help someone else having similar issues. Seems to me people having issues with 1 modem bought another comparable product from another manufacturer and didn’t have anymore issues. There are complaints with all 3 docsis 3.1 modems.
Expert

FWIW, the SB8200 doesn't use the Intel Puma 6 chipset. It uses a Broadcom.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!