Community Forum

MB8600 vs SB8200

Regular Visitor

MB8600 vs SB8200

I have been having some issues with my new gigabit internet and have been trying out two different modems: the Arris SB8200 and the Motorola/Zoom MB600. Neither is getting reliable speeds, ranging from about 450-850mbps during a 24hr period. I am getting a few T3 timeouts, but it looks like only one per day. Also, the two modems were showing different error stats: the Arris was showing about 1000 corrected errors per minute and the Motorola has none. Can anyone help troubleshoot? this? IMG_0422.pngIMG_0425.png

Expert

Re: MB8600 vs SB8200

Hi @surerealist

Your signal levels look terrific. The FEC events you see on the Arris are just on the OFDM channel. It's normal and not a concern. 

Start here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply, @Nerdburg! My question is really why would the Arris show errors and the Motorola show none with the exact same connection?

With signal levels being that good, why would my testing show speed fluctuations? The only device directly connected to the modem is the Eero, which has it's own speed test functionality. 368-874 is my range in recent testing.

IMG_0434.png

Official Employee

Hi @surerealist

@Nerdburg is correct. Your signals look good. I can take a deeper look to see if I'm able to isolate a cause for your speed issues. Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@surerealist wrote:

Thanks for the reply, @Nerdburg! My question is really why would the Arris show errors and the Motorola show none with the exact same connection?

With signal levels being that good, why would my testing show speed fluctuations? The only device directly connected to the modem is the Eero, which has it's own speed test functionality. 368-874 is my range in recent testing.

I have an ARRIS SB8200 and used it for nearly a year. I've found this modem to be very sensitive in general, probably because it tends to run hot, and I would see a lot of corrected errors on it as well. However, the DOCSIS 3.1 standard has Forward Error Correction built into its technology, so all those corrected errors are actually normal and aren't going to be a problem. It's the Uncorrected Errors that indicate issues with your connection. 

As far as the fluctuations in speed, bear in mind that there might be other devices connecting to your remote server at the same time,  and more congestion will impact the results of the speed test.

I can't speak for eero, though, so you'd have to ask them about the technical aspects of the router's internal testing. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.