Community Forum

Low upload speeds but normal download speeds

Frequent Visitor

Low upload speeds but normal download speeds

I've had problems with terrible upload speeds for the past few days after a storm came through. Tech came in this morning to replace the modem while also fixing some wiring outside. Yet nothing changed. I'm supposed to be getting 100 down/25 up. I'm getting around 95 down and from 1 to 6 upload speed. The two techs that came out didn't even have an answer and left saying that they would have maintenance check on the problem later. I'm not so sure that anyone is going to come back to fix it.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Low upload speeds but normal download speeds

@Kjones22 wrote:

I've had problems with terrible upload speeds for the past few days after a storm came through. Tech came in this morning to replace the modem while also fixing some wiring outside. Yet nothing changed. I'm supposed to be getting 100 down/25 up. I'm getting around 95 down and from 1 to 6 upload speed. The two techs that came out didn't even have an answer and left saying that they would have maintenance check on the problem later. I'm not so sure that anyone is going to come back to fix it.

As far as I'm aware there is no speed tier that is 100/25. What speed does it say in your account? Is it Performance, Blast or Extreme?

Frequent Visitor

I misspoke, I have the digital premier package that actually says I get up to 250 download speed yet it doesn't tell me anywhere what upload speeds I get. Anyway when my internet was working perfectly fine I was getting 15-20 upload, now I'm getting an abysmal 1-5 upload.

Silver Problem Solver

OK. depends on area. Blast or Blast Pro can get you 250/10, you would expect to see around 300/12 with that. If in Central Extreme 250/20 can get you around 300/24.

If wired by ethernet and your device/router or computer has a 10/100/1000 gigabit NIC/port.

I've found that using the Ookla app in win 10, is the most accurate, your milage may vary of course.

Contributor

In my area Xfinity did drop the upload speeds on their new packages so I have the new 100/5 package for internet.

Silver Problem Solver

@Vicpdx12 wrote:

In my area Xfinity did drop the upload speeds on their new packages so I have the new 100/5 package for internet.

That would be a performance tier. Performance can be 25/5, 60/5, 100/5 and 150/5.

Generally speaking Performance and Performance Pro have  5Mbps upload.

Blast or Blast Pro has 10Mbps upload.

Extreme can be 10Mbps or 20Mbps upload depending on area.

Frequent Visitor

This is definitely not a package problem. I have extreme. The problem is clearly connection wise and the techs that came didn't know how to fix the problem and didn't really give an answer to fix it other than, "maintenance will come out later to try to fix the problem". 

Frequent Visitor

I don't believe the problem is anything on my end. The tech came in sunday morning and made sure all cables were secured correctly and even replaced the modem. A storm came through last thursday and have been having the same extremely slow upload speeds since. My guess is there is a problem at the place where my neighborhoods line connects. I haven't been able to confirm that my neighbors are experiencing the same problem but I am curious if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Frequent Visitor

High upstream power levels leading to really slow upload speeds?

I am having problems with really slow upload speeds along with packet loss for the past week. I have already had two techs come out, the second one slightly more helpful than the first, and I am still experiencing major packet loss and slow upload speeds.

Here are my power levels from my gateway:

https://imgur.com/a/Sl3tm6d

Do my connection problems have anything to do with my high upstream power levels? 

Expert

Re: High upstream power levels leading to really slow upload speeds?

The upstream power is too high / out of spec. Get the techs re-involved until they fix it properly !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I talked to a xfinity service rep at my local xfinity store today, explained my problem, and showed him the abomination that the last two techs left my internet box (which was left completely exposed with cables hanging out). He proceeded to tell me that they can't schedule another tech to come out until the account is charged for the first two. We don't pay hundreds of dollars every month for this type of service. We shouldn't have to pay for two outsourced technicians to come out to my home, fiddle with some cables, and not fix my problem.  I have literally been troubleshooting every day since the problem started last thursday, and the fact that I realized the problem before either of those two techs did is pathetic. I am not getting any clear answers from support staff or technicians and it is unbelievably frustrating. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me in the right direction, because clearly I am talking to the wrong people.

Official Employee

Hi there, Kjones22. 

I apologize for the inconvenience you have been going through. I will do my best to help you out and get you situated. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi there, Kjones22. 

I wanted to touch base as I have not received a private message from you.

I wanted to reach out one more time before closing out your post. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.