Community Forum

Low internet speed resolved (Linksys E900 router)

Highlighted
New Poster

Low internet speed resolved (Linksys E900 router)

I am a new customer and choose to have Xfinity Internet connection it was a great offer because I took also Cisco DPC3008 Cable Modem and Linksys E900 router all free (with mail in rebate).

When I connected with my modem it was great. My spead was ~25 mbbs. But wen I used the router and I checked my speed it was not even 1mbbs!!!

It was soooo slow. It took me a lot of energy and phone calles to fix it. And I found the solution in the knowing everything google.

Check it here:

http://brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1

The solution
  1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
  2. Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
  3. Disable WMM Support
  4. Click save.
That's it. The second I disabled WMM support, the download speeds for my laptop and iPhone both jumped to 24 Mbps, perfectly matching my desktop.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Low internet speed resolved (Linksys E900 router)

Thank you for sharing this with the community ! Smiley Happy

New Poster

You rock for posting this!!  I saw a bunch of reviews that said the free equipment would not work with Comcast and was just doing speed tests noticing that everything was fine when I was hardwired in.  Was about to be very frustrated with incompatible equipment and voila, I saw your message.  Thanks so much for posting.  Hope it helps alot of other folks.  Maybe Comcast Customer Service can start offering this as a solution to troubleshoot, as well!!

New Poster

Thank you so much for posting this fix! I was having the same problem but everything is working perfectly now!

Silver Problem Solver

Excellent information.  I was wondering why so many folks with E900 were posting about speed problems.  While the E900 is no speed demon, it should be able to keep up with your typical 20+Mbps Comcast connection as long as it's not overtaxed.

Problem Solver

Great, by any chance can you tell us what your link rate is now?  The connection rate reported by Windows?

New Poster

Thank you very much for posting this.  My daughter was complaining about very slow download speeds with a Linksys E1200 router.  The fix you posted worked and her download speed jumped from barely 1 Mbps to about 18 Mbps immediately.

New Poster

Works like a charm!  I spend hours on hold with Comcast and chatting with a Tech. You would have thought they would have known about this easy fix!

New Poster

Oh my lord! Thank you for posting this!

New Poster

I tried this and it did not work. I just bought 3 new toshiba laptops running a Intel(R) wifi link1000BGN.

After Applying this my old dell desktop would not even connect through a Hardwire. So I disconnected the linksys e900 and reconnected my old D-Link 615 and I connected with over 15mps download. When the e900 was connected I couldn't even get .32mps very painful. I spent over 30min on the phone with comcast.

and an hour with linksys support, plus over 3hour of my time trying different configurations. I too took advantage of the modem and router promo. Had comcast lay a new line directly to the modem no splitters or tv interference. Save your time and aggravation. Linksys had normally made a good product but they have booted this one. I will be getting my money back on this.  The modem seems to work well.

Problem Solver

Kewl just got 8mbps more ty . Netgear wnr2000v3

New Poster

Thanks you so much for posting that fix....I spent almost an entire day reading and tinkering with my Belkin n120, returned it and bought a Linksys e1200, and STILL had the same issue. This simple fix was all it needed to get back to acceptable 25 Mbps download speeds.

You rock!!!

New Poster

WOW, thanks so much for that info. I changed that setting on my linksys E1200 and went from 1.41Mbps to 23.57Mbps. Awesome!!!!!

New Poster

I had a similar situation with my Dlink gaming router.  I was getting crappy upload speeds.  I turned off 'Gamefuel' and now my speeds are faster than ever.

New Poster

This is my second post. I dumped the linksys e900 and bought a new Western Digitail N700

dual band. Solved all my problems. I now can run 4 computer all with wireless N. and stream Netflix

all at top speed of over 15mps.  I made no major changes to any settings.

New Poster

Thank you so much! I just got a Linksys E1200 router about a month ago because our old one was incompatible with my new family computer. unfortunately, the internet was very slow, especially when watching online videos! but this little trick worked like a charm Smiley Happy
New Poster

Man... You made my day. Smiley Happy I am working on setting up the router for the past 3 hours.. Finally the answer to all the issues.. Smiley Happy

Bronze Problem Solver

Great fix BUT how do you explain all the others that dont have to do that to get the expected speeds from there routers. Is this a issue with the e900 only ?? I have two routers ea4500 and wndr4500 and they dont do that.

Bronze Problem Solver

After doing some research on this I found that if you disable WMM your router will no longer funtion with N, only A,G so if you have any N wireless cards or adapters they will only connect with 2.4 Ghz will be G and 5.0 Ghz will connect via A. Also the router speed will not go higher than 54 mbps not really a problem if you isp is that or less. Bottom line disabling WMM does help the download speeds that are 54 mbps or less but you have no N working at that point. (N must have WMM to funtion)

Problem Solver

Unfortunately your research is not correct.  You may have read SmallNetbuilders old, old article which is not accurate.  I have WWM off and my router is set for N only.  I connect both computers at 300Mbps.  I have a WNCE2001, Roku and Kindle fire all connected at N rates.  My wireless transfer speed to my server downstairs is 82.5Mbps.  Limited by my 100Mbps LAN connections on the router.  The 54Mbps appears to be a myth.

Bronze Problem Solver

That is were i read that at but i also found other sites that say the same. Are you sure with WMM disabled you are connecting via N have you verified this? Most cards are backward compatable if they dont see N they will connect with A or G I have the ae2500 adapter for my desktop and it will not connect N on the 5.0GHZ band with WMM disabled when I enable it it connects via N and the speed goes up. This is a topic these router builders need to investigate further and inform us the buyers. Thanks for your input.

I just verified the fact it does not transmitt N when WMM is disabled. Bring up your wireless connection and put your mouse over your SSID and look at the radio type mine went from N to G after WMM was disabled.

Problem Solver

Yes verified, that's how I can transfer at 82.5Mbps wireless to my server with WMM disabled.  Enabled, it is about half that... which is less than your 54Mbps.  And yes Internet speed went from 12-14Mbps to 20-23Mbps when disabled.  And yes... Radio Type 802.11N holding the mouse over the SSID.

Bronze Problem Solver

Well thats not how my router workes and my speed dont change enabled or disabled but the N does go to G at least on the EA-4500.

Problem Solver

Running Netgear WNDR3400v2 with Linksys AE1000 USB adapter. 

I also get the same connection speed using a WEC600N Linksys Express Card adapter.

I don't want to talk about my built in WiFi card in the laptop, now that sucks.

Bronze Problem Solver

I get about 25 down and just under 4 up wired and through the EA-4500 using the laptop i get about 20 down and the same as wired going up just under 4. I dont know y they would make a router that slows the downstream so much by having wmm enabled. Maybe they will push a new firmware to fix that.

New Poster

Dear god Angela you are a lifesaver! I have spent a week with Comcast trying to resolve acquiring my own Docsis 3modem while testing out blast over performance. With blast I was able to get 34Mbps wired but when using my wireless router it dropped to 16 which was even slower than what i was getting with my older Docsis 2 modem. taking your suggesting and diabling WMM support in my router just jumped my download speed to 35 Mbps on my laptop using the wireless router!  You are a friggin genius--thank you!!

New Poster

Increase your download speeds immediately!

http://brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1

The solution
  1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
  2. Find a page that has QoS settings and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
  3. Disable WMM Support
  4. Click save.

My download speed with Blast and a Motorola 6121 wireless router jumped from 16 Mbps to 36. Using my iphone my wireless download speed jumped from .6Mbps to 16!!  Funny thing is--5 techs and 3 supervisors at Comcast didn't tell me this. I found it posted here in the forums.  

New Poster

Super, I resolved my speed issues, Thank you (even i spent lot of time in calling comcast for resolving the issue, but no body resolved it)

New Poster

Wow that was amazing, I tried calling comcast support and chat 3to 4 times.. they couldnt help me with that...at last i saw this thread and it was useful, Million thanks..

Frequent Visitor

I had speed issues all the time with my comcast.  This summer, I was somehow blessed with the decent speed and good image qualities when streaming videos, enjoying watching olympics etc.. But the luck ended all over sudden this week.  

I have a different router (Medialink Wireless router) but I gave your fix a try, and it worked like a charm!! 

Those of you having the speed issue with Medialink router, make sure to connect it directly with your PC using ethernet cable.  Then find 'WMM capability' under "Advanced settings", and disable it.  If you connect it wirelessly you won't find this options.

Many kudos!!   

New Poster

HOLY GUACAMOLE Angela, you just saved my sanity!!!!

I'm on my Mom's account, just moved back home after several years living on my own). My trusty 5 year old Netgear router died after a GA thunderstorm this summer. I went & bought a Linksys e1200 & set up the home network for Mom & I (2 windows desktop machines that are rarely used unless I'm editing my music) and 2 laptops - I have a MacBook Pro. All of a sudden my internet was equivalent to Compuserve via dial-up : SLOW. 

Comcast said it was our modem, they came & replaced it. Then said it was our phone, came & re set it up (charged us $50 BOO!), then blamed our wires, came here & replaced a bunch. Six weeks weeks later I still have a SpeedTest.com score of .73 mbps. You know we're promised at least 12 and I didn't even get 1! I was starting to lose my marbles when I had to let a tv show or movie load for 3 hours before i could actually watch it. 

Then I found this forum post. AND IT WORKED! I know I should have called but I damaged my vocal chords & could barely speak all summer. So instead, once I went upstairs I would just plug in my ethernet chord to the modem at night since Mom only goes online during the day - I didn't really rely on the router.

But now that I'm working more from home, I need to be able to listen to new records or watch an actors movie reels asap... this trick just brought my -1 mbps back up to 24mbps. 

A HUNDRED THANK YOUS from me & Mom!!!

;-) Patrice