Community Forum

Lost all but 8 downstream channels over the course of 24 hours

Contributor

Lost all but 8 downstream channels over the course of 24 hours

This morning I had 28 downstream channels and my internet was as smooth as butter. No congestion, steady speeds (etc). Now I am down to 8 channels I have provided pictures of what they were this morning (9/13/18) and what they are now (9/14/18) I have a Netgear CM700 modem and a Netgear AC1750 router.

What can I do to fix this?

I have also checked Xfinity outage site and this is what it says. Not sure if that is what the issue is, and they are re-routing traffic.
"There are no reported outages at your address, but there are service outages reported in your ZIP Code. Subscribers affected in your ZIP Code: 51-1000"

I have power cycled the modem 3 times today and nothing has helped.

Morning time signals at (9/13/18) 
signals.png
Current channels at (9/14/18)
signals2.png

Expert

Re: Lost all but 8 downstream channels over the course of 24 hours

Have you tried resetting the modem by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Yes, I have tired that. I also have tried the factory reset option in the modems interface.

Expert

O/k since the outage report says this;

"but there are service outages reported in your ZIP Code. Subscribers affected in your ZIP Code: 51-1000"

You may have to just wait this one out. The channels may be down due to a noise ingress problem or for some type of local maintenance. The posted signal stats are fine.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

These are my upload signals for good measure. I will keep this open if and when the problem is fixed.
upload.png

Expert

They're in spec.

Contributor

Then there were four.

thentherewerefour.png
Contributor

I plugged in my Netgear CM1000 and I got all 28 channels back, I have come up with a theory. I think I have had to many modems tied to my account at the CMTS. I have owned 4 modems on my Comcast account. The first was an Arris SB6121 which could not stand the test of time, the second was my first Netgear CM700 which died on me within the week, then another Netgear CM700 which I swapped the DOA unit for. I obtained the Netgear CM1000 on sale at a Best Buy and got it. It was 30 dollars off. All these modems must be ghosting themselves within the CMTS.

I would like a tech to remove all modems except the Netgear CM1000 from my account if they are stored in my account history.

If a mod or tech needs my info I can DM the account info.

Expert

@strykerzr350 wrote:

I think I have had to many modems tied to my account at the CMTS. I have owned 4 modems on my Comcast account. .

Nah. A modem will establish a basic connection to the system and lock on to however many multiple channels are configured / available on the CMTS (if there are no connection quality issues) regardless of its provisioning or how many modems may be registered on the account / backend database.

Expert

Hi @strykerzr350

Thank you for visiting the forums! 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Official Employee

I think you may have some in home wiring issues. You have the X1 platform, your 2 boxes use moca to communicate and that moca signal is way out of spec and that tends to be in home wiring related(ingress, too many splitters, garbage cable etc). You can check those levels right on your boxes. I would hook up your modem directly to the heat line coming in and see what’s there.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

How do I check my MoCA signals?

I also have an older Comcast HD box as well. Non X1.

This is what I can tell you about my house wiring. I have no cable wall outlets, all my cables are ran through the brick and into said rooms, the cables are RG6 except one room which is legacy RG59. These cables are ran into a demarc box where a tech installed Commscope spiltters, one being an SV-2G and the other being an SV-3G. The SV-2G controlls the room with the main X1 box and modem that is coming from the main drop off the pole, the SV-3G is in use for 3 outlets one room not having a TV which I went into the demarc box and termiated that connection. Then that cable is split again for the inside of the home using another Commscope SV-2G the cables used are the ones that came with a self install kit.

I have pictures of what the demarc box looks like on the inside as the tech never did lock it. I have labled each cable as well.

So in the Comcast/Xfinity system, only one modem is stored as that customers devices? Then there is no way that the hub site/head end systems remember the older devices.

Official Employee

Hi, strykerzr350 - 

I would be happy to help out with this issue further. Please send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. Thanks! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.