Community Forum

Losing internet every night

Frequent Visitor

Losing internet every night

Hello,

I am beyond frustrated right now, but I will try to remain pleasant.

For the last 3 weeks, after midnight until about 8-9am, my internet drops beyond use. I normally have 35mb. If I can get the test to run after midnight, my speeds vary from 0.89 - 2.24. This also affects my phone as I can call out, but pressing numbers do not register (so I cannot call comcast support) and I cannot be heard on the other end.

So far, I have been sent a new modem, and it worked great for ONE day. After that, the connecton got worse and happened more frequently to the point I could not use internet/phone for over 8 hours.
Today, we had a technician come out, and he changed the filter on the line and added a physical second line dedicated to the internet/phone line. It worked great when he left, although it seemed a little slow. At around midnight, the DL rate went from 35 mbps to 0.89 mbps.
This is getting sooooo old.

When I call support all I get is "reset the modem". Sorry, but DUH. If one more person tells me to reset the modem and I am going to cram it through the phone line. We have a brand new modem, and until today (will continue to test) it was taking the modem upwards of 2 hours to reboot, and even when the lights were active, the speed was too slow to be usable and the phones did not work properly. I know, I know, reset the modem.

I called again tonight, and was told to call back in an hour so they could schedule a tech to come out. There was one here today...

Let me wrap this up: I pay for internet and phone which I cannot use for the majority of the hours in the day, Customer support's answer is to "reset the modem", and I should have to have ANOTHER tech come out to fix the problem, which by the way, I have to pay for. Pay for your own faulty services. I shouldn't have to pay for the time I haven't had phone and internet, nor should I have to pay to have the service fixed.

Ya, I am ^&%*ed. Any idea why I am losing internet EVERY NIGHT and MORNING? Anyone?

I really am trying to reign it in, and any help would be greatly and honestly appreciated.

Expert

Re: Losing internet every night

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.
- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Hello, here is the information you requested:

- Post your modem’s error logs. 

RF Parameters
Downstream

DCID	Freq	Power	SNR	Modulation	Octets	Correcteds	Uncorrectables
Downstream 1	137	537.00 MHz	-2.05 dBmV	32.50 dB	256QAM	173121380	72	0
Downstream 2	138	543.00 MHz	-1.75 dBmV	32.58 dB	256QAM	94952008	70	0
Downstream 3	139	549.00 MHz	-2.15 dBmV	32.58 dB	256QAM	95108450	84	597
Downstream 4	140	555.00 MHz	-1.99 dBmV	32.77 dB	256QAM	92793879	119	651
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream

UCID	Freq	Power	Channel Type	Symbol Rate	Modulation
Upstream 1	2	37.00 MHz	51.00 dBmV	DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)	5120 kSym/s	64QAM
Upstream 3	1	30.60 MHz	51.00 dBmV	DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)	5120 kSym/s	64QAM
Upstream 4	3	25.30 MHz	52.00 dBmV	DOCSIS1.x (TDMA)	2560 kSym/s	16QAM
 Status
System Uptime:	0 d: 13 h: 31 m
Computers Detected:	staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1)
CM Status:	Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date:	Sun 2012-07-29 12:44:19

Interface Parameters
Interface Name	Provisioned	State	Speed (Mbps)	MAC address
LAN	Enabled	Up	100(Full)	00:1D:D2:D7:0C:19
CABLE	Enabled	Up	-----	00:1D:D2:D7:0C:1A
MTA	Pass	Up	-----	00:1D:D2:D7:0C:1B

- Post the make and model of your modem.

Hardware Information   System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 3
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.25
SW_REV: 7.4.63A
MODEL: TM722G Serial Number: C5VBPG6BW382499 Battery Charger FW Rev: 02.30 Options:    Firmware Build and Revisions Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_MODEL_7_8 Firmware Build Time: Fri Jan 13 19:51:50 EST 2012

- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.

Disconnected until issue resolved

- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.

Contacted Comcast sevral times, only to be told to reset the modem. Finally, a new modem was sent which did not help. A tech came to my home and replaed the filter in the cable line, which didn't work, so he ran a seperate line dedicated to internet/phone. Worked until about midnight, then speeds dropped off again until several hours later.

- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

All lights green except LINK, which is flashing yellow.

Expert

Sorry we missed your post....

Anyhow you do indeed have a signal issue. Your SNR is too low and your upstream is to high. This would make me suspect a wiring problem. How is your wiring?

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Wiring? Cable or electrical? 

If electrical, seems fairly updated (it's not knob and tube), grounded boxes, and our power never trips. 

I am using surge protectors, if that makes any difference.

If you are talking about the cable wiring, the tech just ran a new dedicated coax to the modem. Other than the cable portion of the TV is great, I don't know about that wiring. 

Expert

I'm talking about cable wiring. Do you have your coax going through the surg protector?

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

No sir, the coax is, as far as I know, coming from the pole outside straight into the modem.

Knowing that there is a wiring problem, where do I go fro here?

Expert

Well, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, since I'm just giving you my best guess. You should probably have a tech come out with a signal meter and find out why your signal is so poor at the modem. Most likely it's a wiring issue (bad line, bad splitter etc) but it's possible that it's something on Comcast's end.

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for you help. I have a tech coming on Friday. Hopefully he can solve it. The net is working perfectly right now, but night looms. 

With the information you provided, I was able to call tech support and tell them what you said and I didn't have to jump through hoops this time. 

The irony did not escape me, however, that a tech is coming (that's the only thing I could get them to suggest after one had already come out). At least this time, I know what to have him look at thanks to you.

Frequent Visitor

Turns out, after about 30 people from my neihborhood called, there was a muh bigger problem at play. Go figure.

Apparently there was a crew out yesterday fixing the problem and guess what, my internet didn't go out last night. In fact, it's a little faster than it's supposed to be (shhh). 

Thanks again for the assistance. It is appreciated.

Expert

Glad it's working Smiley Happy

I am not an employee.
New Poster

What did you do to finally get it fixed? I have been on the chat several times and called their support many more and all they keep saying is to reset my modem and then my modem is bad. I bought a new modem and it happened again a week later. Guess what, they say my modem is bad.

I am planning on dropping their service tomorrow. This is rediculous!