Community Forum

Lightning Strike Has Killed Seven (7) of my devices.

Frequent Visitor

Lightning Strike Has Killed Seven (7) of my devices.

Have have had seven devices damaged due to a lighting strike; everything before the strike (which killed my tree) everthing not working after the strike. All connected via ethernet to router.

Modem, Router, Roku Ultra box, home alarm supervision Envisalink board, over the air antenna signal amplifier, EZVIZ home video camera surveillance recorder, laptop no longer connects via ethernet, 

I think its around $900 to replace, excluding installation, etc. maybe more.

Don't have coax surge protector by do have whole house surge protector.

OK. Can anyone tell me what the heck I should do in future to avoid this?

Facts only, please. Thanks

ISP: Xfinity/Comcast

CORRECTIOIN 8/13/19 Only five (5) devices since the Roku Ultra and surveillance camera VR came online on their own!

8/13

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Lightning Strike Has Killed Seven (7) of my devices.

There’s not much more you could do, if lightning wants to go somewhere, it’s going there. And take out anything in its path

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Your best bet is to pray to Thor for no more lightning strikes.

Seriously though, last year lightning hit a house two doors down and fried a bunch of my stuff.  Everything was on a surge protector, but it didn't matter.  Had to get a brand new A/V Receiver and X1 cable box.

Regular Contributor

Contact your utility company. They can put a lightening catcher on a transformer pole to draw it away from your house. Get your ground wire to your electric box checked too.