Community Forum

Laptop says enter the Network Security Key Help me find the Network Security Key

Contributor

Laptop says enter the Network Security Key Help me find the Network Security Key

Here is the problem real simple:

1/ received my upgraded modem from comcast

2/ technician hooked it up for me (it was later that I discovered the problem with connecting laptop)

3/ desktop connected to my new  modem with ethernet cable

4/ laptop won't connect it is telling me to enter Network Security Key, keep in mind I have no router only a modem from comcast, and with my older modem I didn't need to connect my laptop with an ethernet cable I connected it with the password on the modem and that didn't work this time.

Thanks for any help, I will stay signed in and wait for a reply, give me time to reply I will keep watch during the day. Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Laptop says enter the Network Security Key Help me find the Network Security Key

"Network Security Key" = "Wifi password". See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password. If Comcast provided the device, it's probably one of their all-in-one modem/wifi/router/phone gateways. What is the model number?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Laptop says enter the Network Security Key Help me find the Network Security Key

I can't find the model number but the paperwork says modem and router neatly in one piece of equipment. 

Regular Contributor

OK - so you do have a router.   Look for something on it like: WPA2 Key or WPA2 Passphrase. Don't confuse this with the admin password.  I have my own modem/router, but I've helped a couple of people with Xfinity-supplied equipment, and their passphrase was visible on-line in their Xfinity accounts.  That surprised me but it was kind of handy too because you could copy and paste from there.

Contributor

It's all good now problem solved, that you for your help! I put in my password and it worked.

So to help others:

I thought Network Security Key was something else it isn't it is whatever your password is

And just so other's know, I first looked for an answer on this forum and a lot of people were asking the same question. So it is not complicated as it sounds.