Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Lag spikes, high latency, and packet loss. Mostly noticable while playing an MMO (Not a flame post)

Frequent Visitor

Lag spikes, high latency, and packet loss. Mostly noticable while playing an MMO (Not a flame post)

Hello friends, I've been having trouble with high ping/latency in mostly World of Warcraft. I've noticed webpages and youtube videos varying in load speed as well.

Extra detail:

-Lag spikes vary in timing. From 30 seconds of 80ms, to 5 minutes of 250-1000ms. Players in game are still moving and playing normally but on my end nothing will work for a short while. (I'm not sure if this implies a problem with packets from my end not reaching the server or something like that.)

-I do have a small payment of ~$26 processing, waiting to go through towards my bill. (Are there restrictions placed upon unpaid services?)

-Sometimes this issue does not exist at all. I was playing for roughly 5-6 hours at 85ms with ocassional spikes of 150ms. Most of the time the spikes are there and very close in timing, consistent throughout the day.

Technical Information:

Here is a small collage of cropped screenshots from my modem webpage: https://i.imgur.com/q4BLwRX.png

Pastebins of ping tests: Command used "ping -t www.comcast.com"

Roughly 5 minute test

Approx. 10 minute test

For some reason, this modem will not show anything when I attempt to look at its logs. I press "Show logs" and nothing comes up. Sorry. I've tried googling this issue and I am not sure what to look/search for in resolving it.

Contacting Comcast Live Chat results:

After explaining my problem with as much detail as I could, I was asked to provide my CM MAC address that is printed on the side of my modem. I had mistakenly mistyped the information and was told my device was 'not found' or 'unknown'. After further inspection, I corrected my mistake and was told "Diagnostics showed good signal, etc, etc" and immediately after I was told my modem was still unknown and could not be pinged (very confusing situation, if you ask me.) I was also given a link to xfinity's speedtest site and told to report the results (117 Mbps down) back to the live chat. Afterwards, I was told "Seems there's no problem with the service." and I decided at this point that I could not be helped further. I thanked them for their help and proceeded to leave.

Summary:

I cannot deal with this latency issue anymore. I've been extremely patient and understand that the networking world has a lot of variables and problems. Can any of you help me with the information I've provided? I'll be able to answer any questions I can in the replies. I have weekly scheduled events online that I must attend and this, hopefully, will be fixed soon.

Expert

Re: Lag spikes, high latency, and packet loss. Mostly noticable while playing an MMO (Not a flame po

You want to run a trace between you and the WoW servers. See the troubleshooting guide for instructions. WoW servers are 137.221.105.2 and 24.105.62.129

Here are my results:

wowtrace.PNG

I ran this test around 8:30 EST am so I'm assuming the servers aren't under peak load. Everything is moving pretty well across Comcast's network, but it's still choking a bit as soon as it hit's Blizzard's servers. I imagine at peak times it's worse. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Expert

Re: Lag spikes, high latency, and packet loss. Mostly noticable while playing an MMO (Not a flame po

FWIW, the host is likely to have caching / content delivery servers located locally to his area / region so the IP addresses of their particular servers may be different. YMMV.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I somehow managed to click the "best answer" button while scrolling. I'm not done here.

tracert.png
Expert

Great, so now you have a baseline, check them again when you are having issues. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Frequent Visitor

While doing some independant research earlier, I was recommended to use PingPlotter. Here are some results for the IP address 24.105.62.129

I'm hoping this information is useful.

pingplotter1.png
Frequent Visitor

Sample number 2, same IP, later in the day.

pingplotter2.png
New Poster

Im in the same boat.  My packet loss is unreal.  I have the blast pro 100/10 service using a arris sb8200 which i purchased a week ago thinking it would solve the issue but it did notone.PNGtwo.PNG

Frequent Visitor

The issue seemed to stop entirely around 11:30PM last night, but has returned this afternoon.

New Poster

Hello, I'm actually currently having this issue. It started today, it also has to do with world of warcraft and other blizzard games. While playing world of warcraft my home MS will be something crazy like 3000-6000. Also, I have been told that while using voice communications (discord) that my voice is coming in choppy or robotic-like. i was wondering what state you were in? Also has the issues subsided? I currently own a SB8200.

Frequent Visitor

Florida and the issue seems tohave disappeared, for now...

New Poster

I have this issue as well now. I reset my modem and router, to no avail. I have the issue in the morning and the evening and across all games I play. I connect and play a game for a few minutes then loss of connection and I get kicked from the game. (In rocket league that also results in a ban)

I will try that ping test site you provided. Any other thoughts?