Community Forum

Just bought my own modem - what now? (Do we need a tutorial?)

New Poster

Just bought my own modem - what now? (Do we need a tutorial?)

Hey. I came to this forum because I just bought a new modem (SB5101U) and I wanted to know what steps I should take to install it. I currently rent a modem ffrom Comcast.

I was wondering that many people might come here with this very same question. So my question is: should we create a fixed post that gives people general instructions on how to install their own modem?

I know specifics vary by eahc model, but maybe there are important fundamentals. And this could avoid repeated posts here.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Just bought my own modem - what now? (Do we need a tutorial?)

madruga wrote: Hey. I came to this forum because I just bought a new modem (SB5101U) and I wanted to know what steps I should take to install it. ...

First:

• Power off old modem
  • Remove coax and Ethernet cables from old modem and install on new
  • Power on new modem
  • Allow the modem lights to stabilize

Then open comcast.com in your web browser (any website will do, actually). If your system allows it, you'll be presented with instructions to register the new modem online.

If the online registration fails, or if you'd rather just let Customer Service take care of it, call 1-800-Comcast. You'll need to provide the brand, model, serial number, and HFC MAC address of the new modem.

Once the new modem is up and running (give it a few days), return the rental to Comcast. GET A RECEIPT AND SAVE IT FOREVER!

... So my question is: should we create a fixed post that gives people general instructions on how to install their own modem? ...

Makes sense to me -- maybe one of the Experts will pick up that ball and run with it.

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

New Poster

Thanks, BruceW. I think it would be very valueable to put together this info in a fixed post.

I also think that the following page could be included in the tutorial:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13104

It deals with registering the new modem on Comcast's Walled Garden environment. I believe that, like me, most people don't know what is this 'walled garden environment' that is often talked about here in the forum.

Gold Problem Solver

madruga wrote: ... I also think that the following page could be included in the tutorial:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13104 It delas with registering the new modem on Comcast's Walled Garden environment. I believe that, like me, most people don't know what is the walled garden environment that is often talked about here in the forum.

If we do set up a self-install post, it should certainly include a description of the walled garden.

P.S.: If you attempt a self-install and Comcast tries to install software onto your computer, I would cancel the process and have a CSR set it up. A modem swap does not call for any software to be installed.

New Poster

I just tried the self-install minutes ago and it failed.

After iinstalling the coax and Ethernet cables on the new modem, whenever I went to a webspage I was automatically redirected to the walled garden page (https://activate.comcast.com/RoutingEngine/accountlookup.do). There I was asked to enter my Comcast account number and my phone number. I got stuck there. I double-checked my account number many times but I continued to get the follwing message:

"Oops! We don't recognize this account number. Check your account number and try again. Your account number is 13, 14 or 16 digits."

From there I called 1-800-comcast. They asked me for four pieces of information on my new modem: the serial number, the costumer serial modem, and the HFC MAC address, and the modem's model number. All this info was written on the back of my modem.

It took me about 30 minutes on the phone with Comcast's costumer service and now my internet works fine.

Tags (2)
Gold Problem Solver

madruga wrote: ... "Oops! We don't recognize this account number. ...

Sorry to hear that Comcast placed that particular stumbling block in front of you. In my case, the account number printed on my bill is one digit longer than the number I see in Customer Central (13 digits vs 14). Do you know if this is true for you as well? And if so, which number did you use, the short one or the long one?

Would you recommend to a friend that they try to active a modem themselves, or just call it in?

In any event, glad to hear your new modem is up and running. Enjoy!

New Poster

BruceW, you are probably right. It seems like I was having this same issue here.

The account number printed on my bill  is 14 digits long. The number on the Customer Central (https://customer.comcast.com) is only 13 digits long. My paper bill has a "-0" in the end, which is not present in the Customer Central. Since I did not have internet acess when I was trying to set up my internet access (), I looked up the number on my paper bill (aka, I used the long one).

It might have worked if I had dropped that extra zero. Nevertheless, to anwser your question, I actually cannot tell you if I would recommend a friend to try to activate a modem themselves because I was not able to continue to the next step to see if Comcast would force me to install some unwanted software onto my computer. If I they had forced me to install something I would have canceled the process and would have called Costumer Service to set it up.

Gold Problem Solver

madruga wrote: ... Since I did not have internet acess when I was trying to set up my internet access (), I looked up the number on my paper bill (aka, I used the long one). ...

I guess if we write up a sticky (stickie?), we'll have to decide whether to include something like

If the activation page rejects your account number, try dropping the last digit.

Seems kinda clumsy. Maybe we can get some guidance from Comcast on that.

Thanks dude!

Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Post removed as it contributed nothing to a thread that was over two years old. Original thread locked.