Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Issues hooking up XB3 modem

Contributor

Issues hooking up XB3 modem

I got mail saying I needed to upgrade the modem. So put in order to get the equipment. I attempted to set it up and it would not work. It never fails that when I get new equipment I run into issues. I followed the instructions exactly. Is anyone else having issues with it? Luckily I was able to get the old modem I had up and running again. I was ready to throw the new one out the window. I literally had it with internet connection for all of 5 minutes as I did the setup process then doing the activation online. It reset itself then forget it, it was done working properly. It killed my virus scan. Wouldn't even let me on when connection was working. Any page would say I wasn't protected and would not proceed further. And without any connection I can't really troubleshoot anything or search anything to help me. 

For now I have put old modem back installed. Should I bother with the XB3 or just take it back. 

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Issues hooking up XB3 modem

Sometimes the self-activation fails, but a  customer service rep should be able to fix it easily for you. You'll want to hook up the modem and let it get online (watch the indicator lights) them give Comcast a call and they should have you up and running in a couple of minutes. 

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.

All Replies
Expert

Sometimes the self-activation fails, but a  customer service rep should be able to fix it easily for you. You'll want to hook up the modem and let it get online (watch the indicator lights) them give Comcast a call and they should have you up and running in a couple of minutes. 

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

Contributor

Yeah I'll try to do that when I'm calm and not annoyed about the hassle I had today. I did notice on the new one it would set up but then the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz lights would stay flashing. 

Expert

Yeah, the lights flash on the newer models to indicate a functioning state. I guess they thought we would enjoy the light show. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contributor

That still doesn't explain why I wasn't able to get online with it. Guess I'll have to call. Im guessing they'll send signal or something to my computer? I understood proper way to do it is enter the info on side of the modem, which I did. 

Expert

I'm not sure if there was a provisioning issue or a connection issue or some other problem. They will be able to walk you through it with you step by step. The first thing they will want to do is make sure it is provisioned correctly and that there are no signal issues. Once that's established, they can help with the connection to your home network.