Community Forum

Issue with wifi and Arris Surfboard after Provisioning

Frequent Visitor

Issue with wifi and Arris Surfboard after Provisioning

@ComcastJohnN Saw a lot of posts in here about issues with Arris Surfboards and Wifi drops. I activated my router last week and had zero issues with the wifi. Today I had to call and fix some billing issues on my account, and the lady indicated she saw "an error" (didn't say what) on my router. She was gone on hold for a few minutes, and when she came back she said she fixed it. Now, at home, I cannot get my wifi to stay connected. Ethernet works fine, it's just wifi. Tried to reset and reboot the router, nothing works. Thinking this might be an issue with the HFC Mac ID. Can you assist?

Expert

Re: Issue with wifi and Arris Surfboard after Provisioning

If it is only with WiFi and not ethernet, then its not an "HFC MAC / provisioning problem". Comcast JohnN does not typically assist with these types of problems.

Start with this;

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I am 99.9% certain it is not a WiFi signal interference issue and I already meet all 10 requirements in that "10 ways you might be killing your wifi" article. This only started after some sort of changes were made from the Comcast side after seeing an unspecified "error" in their system (this was after a nightmare 2 hours on the phone trying to get a simple billing issue fixed).  Before that call, I had been using the new router for over a week with zero issues. I have not rearranged or started using anything in the house that would have caused interference that wasn't already in place a week ago.

The issue is two fold. My 2.4 Ghz band seems to be no longer broadcasting at all (I cannot find it from any device, even manually entering it). I have signed into the router admin console, and it is set up to broadcast. I even tried reconfiguring and resetting the modem, to no avail. The 5 Ghz band is broadcasting but connections are intermittent and seem to be limited to certain sites (similar to the description where other users can connect to things like Google and YouTube, but not other sites). 

Again, I made ZERO changes to my router in this window and it was working just fine the morning I called to Comcast. The only change was that the tech did "something" to the router from the Comcast side after seeing some sort of error (and it required them to put me on hold and engage a Tier II IT person). This change DID increase the DL speed up to the 250 Mbps I was paying for, but suddenly the wifi has stopped working correctly at, conveniently, the exact same time. I'm curious if repovisioning the router from their side could affect this, or if they altered the settings in some fashion.

Expert

As stated, it's not a "provisioning" thing if the ethernet works correctly. Something else is going on other than provisioning.

Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the device ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. You will lose any customized settings.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Ok thanks - i will try that tonight. I stopped short of doing the full factory reset and just tried a soft and hard reboot. I'll give that a try. Just seems very weird it happened only after that call...

Expert

The call rep may have messed up / changed some internal settings in the gateway. 

Expert

What's the make and model of the gateway?

Frequent Visitor

It's an Arris Surfboard SBG7580-AC

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the device ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. You will lose any customized settings.

Thanks! That did it!

Expert

Quite welcome. Glad to hear ! Now closing this topic.