Community Forum

Issue accessing Netflix, Amazon, and Spotify on computer, but not on phone.

New Poster

Issue accessing Netflix, Amazon, and Spotify on computer, but not on phone.

Ok so my issue is a little weird. Basically, I just got xfinity internet a couple of weeks ago and so far, I can access all websites on my phone. Weirdly, I can’t access Netflix, Amazon, or Spotify on my computer, but everything else is fine. I’ve tried restarting everything, using a different browser, clearing the cache and history, and changing security and firewalls settings.  I don’t know what else to do and no one else seems to know either.

Expert

Re: Issue accessing Netflix, Amazon, and Spotify on computer, but not on phone.

Hi @Wileycoyote94

Thank you for visiting the forums!

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

@ComcastJohnN

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

My first thought is that your computer is not configured to get an IPv4 address automatically via DHCP. Check your network adapter settings on the computer and verify that it is configured  to get an address automatically. While you're in there, check to make sure you're also set to get IPv6 addresses automatically.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I checked and everything was already set correctly, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I also noticed today when I was using my phone as a hotspot, that I couldn’t access the website from my computer under those circumstances, as well. I really don’t know what’s going on.
Official Employee

Do you have any DNS servers manually configured or are you allowing your computer to learn its DNS servers via DHCP? That's one thing to check. If they are manually configured, perhaps you're not getting good name resolution.

Do you have any sort of web proxies in place, such as web filtering, web security, parental controls, or anything along those lines? One test you can do is open up a command prompt window and type "ping www.amazon.com" and see if you get a reply. If you do, that means you have a good network path to that website, which also means you probably have some sort of program that is blocking web access to those sites.

One other remote possiblity that I've only seen one time: did you get this computer from a business? I saw a case once where the computer had location-based web filtering in place, and it would block all sorts of things when it wasn't at its main corporate location. If you got this computer from a business, perhaps it has location-based policies enabled. 

It can be difficult to troubleshoot this sort of thing remotely. If you know someone who is pretty good with computers and troubleshooting network issues, I'd recommend asking them to come over and take a look. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.