Community Forum

Is the X1 Frequency Competing With My MoCA Adapter Frequency

Frequent Visitor

Is the X1 Frequency Competing With My MoCA Adapter Frequency

Just wondering why I would have recently developed drops and freezes in my MoCA Internet signal and also in an upstairs X1 Satellite unit with a MoCA splitter ahead of it and a MoCA adapter on the other leg feeding a Ubiquity WiFi Access Point. for the upstairs WiFi. My modem is stuck in the basement which hurts the signal upstairs and this is supposed to solve that issue and also provide a solid connection to a streaming laptop on the main floor. Does anyone know what frequency the X1 uses or what the best frequency option for my MoCA network would be? My great speeds are being wasted by connection issues!!! My splitters are Holland 1>4 coming in (with a filter ahead of it) and Holland 2>1 where needed ahead of 2 satellite cable units. I'm using the MM1002 Package from Motorola and I think either the adapters or my Xfinity Modem allows me to change MoCA frequency. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HMDDVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Expert

Re: Is the X1 Frequency Competing With My MoCA Adapter Frequency

What modem/gateway are you using? How does it act if you temporarily unplugged your X1 equipment?

Honestly, I would lean away from using the Wireless boxes and use XG2 instead.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My modem is the XB3 and the main X1 unit is the XG1 for TV and the system.
Frequent Visitor

I have no wireless TV boxes, I was considering switching to a newer modem like the XB6 if it outputs a MoCA signal just to rule out my older modem being the issue. The modem itself puts out a decent wireless signal without drops on the main floor but just not strong enough 2 floors up with competing wifi traffic.
Frequent Visitor

For TV it's the XG1 v4.
Expert

What happens to the upstairs when X1 is unplugged? The XB6 does have MoCA, but there is a known issue with the XB6 and MoCA.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Also showing the frequency at 1175 if that makes sense. Should it be different?
MoCA D1A.JPG
Frequent Visitor

I'll unscrew to cable to the main TV and see if the MoCA attached wireless can give a steady signal for 15 minutes. Thanks for the responses so far.
Expert

The frequency is ok. That a MoCA 2.0 frequency. Just try unplugging all of X1 and see how it acts.

Frequent Visitor

I disconnected the coax from the V4 TV unit.

I powered on the laptop on the main floor that is ethernet connected to one of the Motorola units and turned off wifi.

On ethernet I ran DNS benchmark which yielded exellent results - it had been giving errors and latency crashes.

I ran a speedtest with close to 300mbs my maximum.

I ran some videos from flotrack (sports) which are auto-playing with no freezes so far. 

On this laptop I switched to the wireless signal from the MoCA fed access point upstairs. The wireless adapter on this laptop is just OK and with a slighty weaker signal to the upstairs than the xfinity signal from downstairs.

Ran DNS bench here with exellent results.

Ran a speedtest of 120mbs.

Watching Foxsports 2 live soccer stream video with no freezes.

The TV  is still broadcasting the track stream from the other MoCA laptop with no interruptions so far.

So on both MoCA fed (wireless and ethernet) laptops the problem no longer exists.

With the coax cable disconnected from the TV box this is the longest uninterrupted session I have experienced without video errors or DNS errors from testing. 

I had also lost the upstairs TV signal which was freezing and could not update. It seems to be back for now but was frozen for a few days and there is a service call in.

If this indicates frequency interference I'm wondering what my options are. Clearly I want my cable connected but do I need to try to change the MoCA frequency somehow? Is that done from the modem or from te motorola configuration and what frequency or range would I select? Or is there some other approach?

Thanks in advance.

Expert

Ok. Try this so you can have X1 back on:

1. Unplug adapter
2. Plug X1 back in and let it do it’s thing until it’s back up and running.
3. Plug adapter back in
4. Try changing the channel on the adapter itself. This part becomes a bit of trial and error.

Frequent Visitor

I need you to be clear when you suggest I "unplug adapter"

What adapter am I unplugging?

I have 2 MoCA boxes both connected to coaxial cables.

They have power buttons.

One is connected through ethernet and the other to a ubiquity AC-Lite wireless access point.

I have a modem which was power cycled multiple times and did not solve this issue. MoCA was disabled then re-initiated more than once. 

Frequent Visitor

Could you please expand on how disabling adapters will solve a frequency conflict? 

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Ok. Try this so you can have X1 back on:

1. Unplug adapter
2. Plug X1 back in and let it do it’s thing until it’s back up and running.
3. Plug adapter back in
4. Try changing the channel on the adapter itself. This part becomes a bit of trial and error.

Frequent Visitor

Changing the channel (wireless channel?) of my wifi, or frequency on the MoCA adapters.?

We're starting to conflate terms I'm familiar with but not sure how you mean them. If you are talking about the MoCA frequency please be more specific and let me know if this is a setting on the modem or on my MoCA hardware you are referring to. And what frequency is being used by the X1 system?

Expert

Unplug both MoCA adapters and change the MoCA frequency on them. My X1 is operating on channel D1. Personally not sure which one you’re is operating on.

Let X1 come on and then pick the channels for the MoCA adapter.

Frequent Visitor

Here's what the Motorola Adapter config looks like. 

Seems like you can change frequency increments from the 1150,

...and go from: 

Band D Low

Band D High

Band D Extended

Band C4

Band H

...Just need some guidance here.

MoCA Frequency and Channel.PNG
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Unplug both MoCA adapters and change the MoCA frequency on them. My X1 is operating on channel D1. Personally not sure which one you’re is operating on.

Let X1 come on and then pick the channels for the MoCA adapter.

Earlier screensshot I posted shows the xfinity modem is set to D1a 1175. 

Not sure if it sets itself there or reacts to the Moca adapters defaulting to 1150 (later screensshot) 

If the X1 System is using a similar frequency that would be a likely conflict every time it communicates. 

Not sure if I can change the frequency from the modem or if disabling moca on the modem then changing the frequencies on the adapters to the 1525-1625 range would then bring the modem to the same setting when I re-enable Moca.

I will probably disconnect X1 then try that tomorrow and see where the modem sets the frequency. I am not home today.

Still curious as to what frequency the X1 system uses to communicate. Is there a way to find that information? 

Expert

As far as I know of currently, they use MoCA Channel D1(1150MHz).

I just want to verify how you have everything configured for the adapters. Do you have Ethernet going from XB3 to the first adapter and using that first adapter to feed a MoCA signal to the second adapter?

Frequent Visitor

The Xfinity Modem feeds the system at 1175. The Moca signal comes FROM the X3 > TO my Motorola Adapters which seem to be at their default of 1150. I believe it will be pretty straightforward to change to a higher frequency on the adapters, but if the Modem cannot be changed or will not match the adapters new frequency I doubt they will communicate well if at all. Not sure whether changing the frequency at the modem is something I can manually do but it would seem to be an important feature to have in the configuration. And it would be nice to verify that the x1 uses a nearby low frequency for the TV system so we know where to go. If the x1 frequency is near 1050-1150 you would wonder why the modem is set to use 1175 which is so close. If you can help me change that frequency the modem is outputting to my adapters it would be helpful. Please also look at my previous posts with the screenshots that show these settings.

Expert

Ok. Try this:

Change the frequency to 1175 by typing it in and then click submit and see what it does.

Frequent Visitor

Here's the deal. A tech came over for my TV issues but we went into the MoCA issue. They are related. We've swapped modems but feel that is not a solution to my issue. We did figure out the answer to the central question

My Motorola MoCA units are being used as recievers only. They are reacting to the output of the Xfinity Modem which is pushing a Frequency/Channel of  1175/1150. Currently it is 1150 (see screenshot). That cannot be changed and is probably fixed for a reason (we'll get to that next).

My X1 TV system uses MoCA as well and it seems it is largely to communicate within the system for things like the wireless TV boxes (which I do not use) and future system enhancements and rollouts. The frequency is set to (here goes) 1150

(see photo I took from service menu)

So we have the main TV box AND the Modem both outputting a MoCA signal of 1150 mhz into the system.  There must be a reason they chose to have both communicate at that frequency. The problem starts when outside hardware is introduced to that coaxial connection on the Modem which attempts to utilize the same frequency for Internet over MoCA.  The X1 system sees it but cannot identify what it is and will not play nicely. The fact that you cannot change the Modem's MoCA frequency makes it extremely likely that conflicts will arise, such as latency issues and internet failures, and TV updates failing or picture freezes. Without that option to change the MoCA output frequency on the Modem you are probably going to have issues. It's an unfortunate situation that could easily be solved if Xfinity gave customers that flexibility. I would love to see that happen.

For the time being my system is working. But it's just a matter of time before things start to freeze up again. The only option it seems would be to introduce a third MM1000 connected by ethernet to the modem and splitter, outputting a new frequency to the coax. Then configure that sender to output at 1400 or above, possibly into the extended band over 1500mhz.. In any case, somewhere away from 1150 and turn off MoCA at the Modem. Seems a shame this workaround is necessary but as long as Xfinity leaves no option to change the Modem frequency away from the X1 frequency they will conflict. And we have finally confirmed the X1 is on the identical frequency.

Not sure what your last suggestion was in reference to because all along it seems the Modem controlled the MoCA frequency and the adapters simply recieve and match the signal. Thanks for your help though and hopefully this information can help others with similar issues. -JH

2019_May 30_Modem MoCA Frequency.PNG
20190530_MoCA Chgannel and Freq_X1 System.jpg
Expert

Your old gateway said it was putting out 1175 while the adapters said 1150, which seems to be the typical X1 frequency.

I was going to suggest that next for adding an adapter to feed MoCA to the other two. My MoCA experience and setup is a bit different than yours but also acts strange to an extent.

I have 1 XG1v4-A and 3 XG2v2 and an Actiontec WCB6200Q.

When I had an XB3, the Arris TG1682G, it all worked nicely and played together without a hitch. Then comes my gig upgrade that puts an XB6 in place. At first it worked nice, putting out 800 Mbps from the adapter, but every here and there MoCA stops and then reconnects. Eventually it just stops connecting entirely to the point I have to restart the adapter to get it back online. Took X1 out to see what does and same problem. So it was narrowed down to the XB6 causing the problem. I would see each time that happens, the XB6’s MoCA uptime actually reset.

Official Employee

Hi there, Jimdish07. I wanted to check in on how everything was going. How are the services now? 

Also, excellent work, jweaver0312. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.