Community Forum

Is it possible to connect my Apple TV device to either xfinitywifi or XFINITY hotspots?

Regular Visitor

Is it possible to connect my Apple TV device to either xfinitywifi or XFINITY hotspots?

Due to a minor technical difficulty (construction) my home Wi-Fi is out of service temporarily. 

There are local XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots with strong signal coverage. I've tried to connect my Apple TV 4K to both of the hotspots. It doesn't seem to work at all with xfinitywifi.

The XFINITY hotspot looked like it was going to work. I was prompted for user name and password. And I was asked to "trust" a security certificate. I can see the assigned IP address, DNS, etc. But when I try to browse any content it doesn't seem connected.

On the "Xfinity WiFi Hotspot Connected Devices" page the Apple TV MAC address is not listed.

Does anyone know if this should be possible and, if so, what am I missing?

Expert

Re: Is it possible to connect my Apple TV device to either xfinitywifi or XFINITY hotspots?

I don't believe so. The Xfinity WiFi hotspot will ask you to install a security profile, which the Apple TV isn't capable of doing. 

EDIT: If you have a laptop, you can use its Internet sharing feature to connect the Apple TV to its Ethernet port while your laptop connects to the xfinitywifi hotspot. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!