Community Forum

Internet/xfinity modem loses us/ds connection randomly

Frequent Visitor

Internet/xfinity modem loses us/ds connection randomly

Hello!

I have been struggling with a single problem for quite a while (2-3 years) which is my internet constantly losing its connection. Their isn't even a general trend other than the fact that it happens almost everyday. I have contacted customer support and gotten a new xfinity modem to see if it would help. As you can see, nothing has changed. 

I can be watching Netflix or YouTube and then the video just starts buffering and then stops working. I can be working on homework or studying and the same thing happens. This also happens when I am playing online games which is when it gets really frustrating. I look at the modem's lights and the us/ds connection starts to blink which turns the online light off. Then, after maybe 10 minutes it is back to normal but the time really varies. It can take a few minutes or it can take a few hours. However, maybe 30 minutes or a few hours later and it disconnects again.

I have looked at the forums for solutions but they are quite confusing and usually don't apply to my situation. I have also added the downstream and upstream information to see if that would help with conclusions.

Do any of you have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.09.43 PM.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet/xfinity modem loses us/ds connection randomly

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.09.43 PM.pngMy post isn't showing the image, but it shows a triangle.

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

https://imgur.com/a/0scxg8p here is the image. I hope it works.

Expert

The upstream power is a bit on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Greetings, Kim13102! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize for the issue you are having with your internet dropping out. If you have checked everything that EG has provided and still having the intermittent drops, I can look to see if there is anything going on in the area. Feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name for I may further assist you. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, Kim13102. I have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.