Community Forum

Internet suddenly stutters and lags

Frequent Visitor

Internet suddenly stutters and lags

I've been using comcast for at least 3 years and I have been very please up until recently. It started happening about 2 weeks ago, so what's been going on is my internet is suddenly stuttering, my ping would raise from 35 to 150(sometimes higher) for few seconds, then drop back down to 35, and once every few minutes the internet will completely time out for about 5-10 seconds, then automatically reconnect. I called comcast tech support and they told me to power cycle the modem, after doing it for the 20th time I was convinced it wasn't going to fix it. After calling several times I finally decided to setup an appointment for a technician to come check things out. The technician comes, looks around the house, made sure all connections were good (installed by a comcast tech when I first purchased xfinity internet), and then proceeded to connect his laptop to my modem through ethernet. He runs a speed test and it shows that my internet is operating normally, then he runs a live update on the ping and it shows the problem I was talking about, the ping would jump and even timeout sometimes. I ask him what's wrong and he tells me that this is normal, now I'm not a tech genius but I don't think it's normal for my internet to suddenly spike constantly like that after so many years of usage. He said maybe something is taking up all my bandwidth, or that the 26mbps wasn't good enough and I need to upgrade my internet. How is it that I've used to be able to run 4 streams at a time and have no issues, but now that I run even 1 stream I am lagging? I am connected through an ethernet cord to my modem, my ipad, iphone, and my computer outside is connected wirelessly. So what I attempted to do was turn everything off, and connect only one device at a time, to watch a stream to see if it stutters/disconnects. Every single device lagged and stuttered when I watched something, which has NEVER happened in the past few years. 

My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580, any help to this solution would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read the post. 

New Poster

Re: Internet suddenly stutters and lags

We too are seeing this issue.  Not sure why, we have one laptop and one BluRay player we use sometimes.  Have tried to troubleshoot too, nothing changes.  If someone has ideas please share.

Regular Visitor

If "cycling" the modem didn't help, you could try flushing the DNS.

"Regular internet usage causes your computer to automatically cache IP addresses and other domain name system results. Clearing (or "flushing") this cache will refresh the data, getting rid of outdated data that may be causing connection issues."

Windows 8
  1. Navigate to the desktop.
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  3. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  4. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
  6. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  7. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  8. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  9. Reboot the computer.
Windows 7
  1. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  2. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  4. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  6. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  7. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  8. Reboot the computer.
Windows Vista
  1. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  2. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  4. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
  5. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  6. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  7. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  8. Reboot the computer.

Hope this helps. Troubleshooting network related issues can be tedious. Contact me if you need further assistance.

Frequent Visitor

did the steps for windows 7, it's all fixed! I don't have any more lag issues, can watch multiple streams again, thanks again for the help!!! If any further issues occur, I'll drop you a message.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue as Kli907. For step #4, it says that it requires an elevation? Do you have any idea regarding this matter?

Diamond Problem Solver

CaliBoy89 wrote:

For step #4, it says that it requires an elevation? Do you have any idea regarding this matter?

Go to "Start" >> "All Programs" >> "Accessories" >> right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". Now you can enter the command in the DOS box with elevated priviledges.