Community Forum

Internet speed tops out at ~190 for Extreme Pro

Contributor

Internet speed tops out at ~190 for Extreme Pro

Helping a friend. He had Blast Internet. D/L speeds tops out at ~190. He recently upgraded his package and now has Extreme Pro. Still, his D/L speeds are 190. First level Xfinity support was useless. They sent a tech out. He replaced all cables and swapped out his modem.  His "little box" for testing speed read 405.

Yet his Mac still tops out at 190. I wish I was there for the Tech's next comment. "When you run the Xfinity Speed test, it splits the download speed because of wifi". Huh!? Where do they get these techs? So my question is, where should I send my friend to get his issue resolved? First level support or the vist was a waste of time.

One note, when I upgraded to Blast a few yrs ago, I had the exact same issue.Was a setting on the Xfinity side. I just don't recall how I got advanced support.

Contributor

Re: Internet speed tops out at ~190 for Extreme Pro

A few more detail. What is your actual internet speed? I cannot find a consistent number for Extreme Pro?

You did say that the modem was swapped, but which modems. I had a SB6141 (8x4) before with 250 plan, but could not even get to 200. Once I changed to a SB6183 (16x8) I instantly maxed out at 280.

Also, is the Mac connected with wifi or with a cable, and with which router. As with a strong AC connection at the full 866 Mbps, I still rarely can get over 200 Mbps on a single device.

Please provide more details on the current configurations and what has been tried so far?

Expert

@mikebox121 wrote:

A few more detail. What is your actual internet speed?

They stated "190".

I cannot find a consistent number for Extreme Pro?

400/10.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Mac is hardwired. I upgraded memory for him. After that we got on the subject of Internet packages. 

First thing I did was run a speed test. ~190mb down / 11 up.  At first I thought he had the Performance Pro. But with 10+ up, that's Blast. Confirmed he had Blast Pro. That tells me he had an issue from the start. I have Blast Pro and speedtests are always 280-290 down. Now that he upgraded to Extreme Prod, downloads speeds haven't changed. 

Modem info: Voice and Data Modem Techicolor CGM4140COM

Highlighted
Expert

@DonT wrote:

At first I thought he had the Performance Pro. But with 10+ up, that's Blast. 

FWIW, Performance Pro is also 10 up.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!