Community Forum

Internet speed slow down

Regular Visitor

Internet speed slow down

Until about a month ago, I was averaging around 50 Mbps then when service was upgraded was in the 90 Mbps range.  Now I am around 20, with some tests the upload speed is actually higher than the download.  I have the Arris TG862G modem so that should not be the problem.

Anyone else having similar problems?

New Poster

Re: Internet speed slow down

The internet is much slower.  Less than 10meg down and 12meg up.Looked at my bill and it shows Internet Boost package.  I guess it's Boosting from old dialup connections.  What a scam!

New Poster

I have had the same issue since i got comcast 3 months ago.

I was averaging 22mbps(paying for 25) and would experience acute speed drops about once a week. 

When the speed would drop it would be less than 1mbps and the upload was fine. It lasts for 30-90 minutes and goes back to normal. 

After experiencing this for the 10th time or so i contacted comcast where i spoke to someone that im pretty sure was in india. 

She told me to cycle the power, clear my cahce and cookies and "sent a signal"(whatever that means, ping i suppose) to my modem. She ensured me that i would have a fully "unlocked" 25mbps and would not experience the issue agian. 

Not only am i completely pessimistic in having the drops fixed, we will see though, i am averaging lower speeds.

Yay comcast.

New Poster

I just called again to report the lower average speed and the guy i got was leaps and bounds better than the average person i talk to. He pulled up the past 5 days history in speeds and connection strength for my place and said yeah theres an issue, and then looked at the history for the entire street, and told me that my entire street was affected and that the problem was on the line not in my house with the modem or the router. He then transfered me to a local office to get a truck sent out and the lady on the line went through the same old modem reset BS with me. 

So basically the line to my entire street is having issues and needs work, but they keep acting like its an indiviual problem with my modem or internal lines.

Im just going to tell the technician what the guy said about every house here having the issue, and work around the BS from the unknowligable service reps. I have a feeling theres a lot of BS being given out to avoid actually fixing the issue because that requires time and money. 

Ill report back after the truck visit. 

New Poster

Same issue for 2 weeks - getting worse - was on hold for 20 minutes and hung up....

Contributor

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/574918604.png

Wow!  20Mbps!  I know people in Ladson, SC, that would kill babies to get that much bandwidth.  The results shown is typical of the 16 various points, including this Days Inn but it's NOT Days Inn as it's everywhere else, on several super gaming computers, all over the node for Ladson, SC.  A typical speed test to Augusta, GA, shows a ping of 39ms, and an upload speed as fast as the 3Mbps cap allows it to go, very reliably.  But, alas, when you watch CC's speedtest DOWNLOAD, it runs fast, briefly, then stops entirely for 10-300 seconds when it appears to retry, then it runs, briefly, then stops OR EVEN BACKS UP to catch lost packets, methinks, as it does this quite often.  Then, alas, it finally, mercifully, ends the download portion of the test and the speedometer reports the horrible average speed with all the balking, repeating, stoppage, retries, sometimes several minutes later.  

We'll trade ya for your horrible 20Mbps.  I could even watch Xfinity TV and see the ball game on 20Mbps!  Xfinity streaming is useless on a system that just STOPS AND SITS THERE every 15 to 30 seconds!

No, it's not my equipment, CC shills.  Same system in North Charleston on home or Rodeway Inn's CC runs just fine on that node.....most of the time.....

Contributor

Contributor

How do you know what your speed is?  Is there some site that will check and tell you?

On weekdays I don't have a problem, but at night and on the weekends I can barely get it to crawl.  What is up with that?

Diamond Problem Solver

barbc88 wrote:

How do you know what your speed is?  Is there some site that will check and tell you?

Try this for an idea;

http://speedtest.comcast.net

Contributor

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/575793464.png

Hmm...4Gbps!  CC Business Class customers doin' better, tonight!

This is average.  It stopped right in the middle for 8 seconds then frets and starts the rest of the way across.....intermittent.

No Xfinity tonight from here.....

New Poster

I upgraded to the Arris TG862 Gateway Comcast Router about 3 months ago and have had terrible Internet speed ever since. My connection would slow down to a crawl during peak times. My iPad was almost worthless, it was so slow. Netflix had to constantly rebuff every time I tried to watch a show. I started researching the slow speed and discovered many people experiencing the same problems I was. Long story short, I decided to buy another router to see if that made a difference in my Internet speed. I have mostly Apple products, so I splurged and ordered the Apple Airport Express router. OMG ..... My Internet speed is fantastic! Even my iPad is lightning fast, like it should be. I had no idea that buying a new router would make such a difference. I should have done this months ago.
I don't know if a different router brand would work as well as the Apple Airport Express but it is worth a try if you are experiencing slow Internet speeds.
I also bought a high speed Cat6 Ethernets cable to connect my new router to the Comcast Arris TG862 Gateway modem. I think that might have helped with the increased speed, as well.
Hope this info is helpful. 😃
Diamond Problem Solver

Is the 862 in bridge mode ? If not, it should be.

Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

Bandwidth drop outs seem to be a real network issue in my Baltimore suburb.  It always occurs in the evening between 7 and 11PM (bandwidth fluctuates from 30 Mbps to 1 Mbps, sometimes can't even open the Speed Test Page to check it).  I beleive my neighbors are sucking the life out of the bandwidth and Comcast doesn't want to admit too it.

I have a new Motorola DocSis 3 modem and a new laptop which is hardwired. The overseas phone tech support is clueless, constantly wanting to send a refresh to my modem .  A tech has been to my house and fine-tooth combed all connections and bi-directional power levels, even out to the pedastool which is on my neighbor's front lawn about 150' away.  Too bad he can't come at 7Pm and sit around for an hour or two and watch their network fold up. 

**  Is there anyway to contact someone in tech Support stateside who can do real engineering troubleshooting and admit to the real issue?

Contributor

Why don't we pay for what we get?  You pay for 50Mbps, but you only get 3Mbps (a little honesty might be fun).  So, 3/50 = .06 x your monthy fee for 50 Mbps = what you send in each month.....If 50 million irate customers did it, say it went viral on twitter or facebook or youtube, the bean counters would notice and just maybe some corp bureaucrat would do something.

It's just a dream I had....It'll never happen as the NEW Teaparty FCC is on THEIR side, now that those pesky democrats for the people have been "defeated"....

Frequent Visitor

Imabunny wrote:

So basically the line to my entire street is having issues and needs work, but they keep acting like its an indiviual problem with my modem or internal lines.

They have a script they must follow, and step #1 is "blame the customer-owned equipment". Step #2 is "power cycle the modem".

Me: "A tree fell and I can see your wire lying in the street."

Them: "I need you to unplug your cable modem, wait five seconds, then plug it in again."

Frequent Visitor

EG wrote:

barbc88 wrote:

Try this for an idea;

http://speedtest.comcast.net

Funny, that site always shows me getting the speed I pay for. But if I go to a speed test outside the Comcast network, not so much. There seems to be a major bottleneck between Comcast and the internet, at least where I live.

Diamond Problem Solver

That's because their speed testing servers lie on *their* network's edge, therefore they are not subject to any third party's potential backbone / routing / distance related latency issues etc.

New Poster

I am at like 12 right now and I am supposed to have the fastest?

New Poster

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/711915964.png

So, that is what comcasts speed test tells me, but I can't even stream a TV show off netflix, or get decent latency in an online game. This is the second night in a row where the speed just crawls. I pay for an enhanced package and have one of the newer gateways.

New Poster

larryw4csc wrote:

Why don't we pay for what we get?  You pay for 50Mbps, but you only get 3Mbps (a little honesty might be fun).  So, 3/50 = .06 x your monthy fee for 50 Mbps = what you send in each month.....If 50 million irate customers did it, say it went viral on twitter or facebook or youtube, the bean counters would notice and just maybe some corp bureaucrat would do something.

It's just a dream I had....It'll never happen as the NEW Teaparty FCC is on THEIR side, now that those pesky democrats for the people have been "defeated"....

So lets see how this would work out for me, given my average speed the last 6 hours.

Speed = 49Kbps = 0.049Mbps.

I currently pay $115 a month for 105 Mbps.

0.049/105 = 0.00046 x 115 = 5.3 cents a month.

Sounds reasonable to me, and I want my $114.94 credit (I even rounded that 0.3 cents up just for you, Comcast!)

Contributor

I sure hope you don't assume anyone from Comcast reads these posts.  Pure and simple - THEY DON'T CARE!  They get everyone's money and use part of it to run endless commercials on TV about how great they are.  So frustrating.

New Poster

Major issue with Internet speed resolved !!  My home was causing ingress into cable, which is an interference signal. HD TV looked fine, however the ingress caused a signal-to-noise issue affecting the Internet freqs/bandwidth.  It took a good tech to fault isolate the exact cable run within the house and clean it up.  Internet would go from 80 Mbps to nothing. Very random issue.....thought the whole time it was Comacast / Xfinity. 

Problem was a high end audio / video surge protector which one cable run was routed thru !  This was a rack mounted piece of equipment for high $$$ stereo equipment.  It fed an interfernce signal into the cable.

I have heard that your neighbors can be doing this to YOU !  The interference they produce becomes common to all back at the pedestal where the connections for all neighbors are made.  Techs will sometimes have to put filters on the lines since they cant get inot the neighbors homes !!

New Poster

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/759996924.png

I have been getting bad speeds forever. Fix this.

Contributor

My internet speed dropped about a week ago.  Not a huge change; it just takes a little bit more time to load new page, or new email.  Have no idea what speed has been (guess I'd say "fast enough") but now it's rather a nuisance.  (Area code 97303, in case anybody else with same complaint lives in this area.)

Regular Visitor

across the board, it seems, Comcast is cutting down speeds following the FCC net-neutrality vote Smiley Sad The reps. won't tell you, because they either can't or they have not been made aware... That's my opion.

Contributor

But the speed slowdown was a couple of months ago, and net neutrality vote was just taken.

However, the problem seems to have been corrected, at least in my location.

New Poster

I have slow speeds every evening (8pm to 2am) starting about a week ago. Streaming services like Hulu and Netflix won't play, tablet won't download anything even though the connection says excellent in the wifi setting menu.

I switched to comcast because it's cheaper and I get more premium channels and a free DVR...I will be switching back to the other guys soon if this keeps up. I had the same problem five years ago when I left Comcast, I thought it would be better this time, it actually was from Nov. - March, now it's back to the same sh...shenanigans. 

New Poster

Edit: accidental double post
New Poster

Please check and make sure that it isn't all the time. You may only be actually using it at those time periods because of your schedule.  If so, they have a problem fulfilling bandwidth. Or you may have some ingress / leakage issues causing degraded performance.

Contributor

I get what I pay for as do my neighbors and friends. I'm guessing speed might depend on where one lives and the infrasrtucture. So, if your area/home can't get the speed, then you should just downgrade to a lower speed and pay less.

I know users that would kill for speeds like that....(^;}

New Poster

Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

My Internet is so slow I can't even finish the speed test, got to 0.6Mbps and 92% complete for downloading. If comcast can NOT provide me with what they offer because of my area maybe they shouldn't offer it to my area?  Crazy thought? I pay for the 50Mbps and the Internet has been garbage since I installed it.