Community Forum

Internet speed drop

Frequent Visitor

Internet speed drop

I have been using Comcast cable for 9 months, no issues. I'm assigned to Blast Tier 150mbps. For the first 7 months, I was getting 92 - 99mbps on the speed test, but latley I'm only getting 50 -55mbps (direct wired). No hardware change, no settings change, nothing different on my end. What is going on?

Expert

Re: Internet speed drop

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the delay ... I've been distracted. I went through the suggestions you listed. Modem status all apears to be normal as far as I can determine. When I disconnect the router and connect the modem directly to the computer, and I had to reset the network through Windows, power cycle the modem and disconnect the cable to get it to recognize the new connection ... otherwise it was saying "invalid IP" on the modem. When it came up, I checked the speed and I got 137 to 140 mbps. Also I noticed when I looked at the network connections status window, it showed IPv6 connectivity (and IPv4) which I had not seen before, with a speed of 1gbps!! So I thought maybe it was the setting for IPv6 in the router. I reconnected and logged in to the router, enabled IPv6, let it apply and set up, then power cycled the modem again.  When I ran a speed check ... it showed 10 to 12mbps!!!!! WHAT????? So I undid all that, reset the IPv6 setting in the router etc .... then checked the speed ... and I'm back to 51 to 53mbps, and the status shows no connectivity on IPv6 and the speed of 100mbps! I don't get it! I checked the firmware for the router and the manual says it's compatible with IPv6. Now what?

Expert

Post the information requested on the second link EG gave you so we can see what's going on there.  (For starters, we don't even know what make and model modem you have)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your patience with my delayed responses. My modem is a Motorola SB6120, docsis 3.0. My internet plan is Blast Tier 150mbps. In the interim, I figured out something about the router. Looking closer at the settings, I saw that QOS was enabled .. I don't remember setting that up, but I disabled that and ran another speed check. I got 95 to 99 mbps again! I also enabled IPv6 again, speed checked and was still getting 95 - 99. This morning I disconnected the router, checked the speed and it showed 134 mbps. Looking at the adapter connection status shows IPv6 connected and the speed on that window showed 1.0 Gbps( whenever the router is connected that speed shows 100 mbps). I'm attaching a .pdf file showing a screen shot of my modem status. Thanks again.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry ... I forgot to give you the info on the router. Its an ASUS RT-N12 wireless N router, and I verified that it has the latest firmware. Thanks.

Expert

O/k for the 150 Blast tier, the first thing that you need to do is to upgrade that 6120 modem to one that has more downstream channels. The 6120 will support speeds of only 100 Mbps;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6120-359

I recommend the SB6183 for your speed tier !

Next you'll also want to also upgrade that router to one that has more horsepower. That one only has 10/100 ethernet ports. You will only get about 90 Mbps max wired speed with it. You need one that has 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet ports.

Frequent Visitor

Okay .... thanks. I thought that since I could get 134 mbps when I connect direct to the modem that it would be ok. I'll check out the new stuff. Thanks again.

Expert

Bear in mind that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link !! 😉 Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Sorry ... I know I marked my question as answered, but I'm trying to get a grip on this hardware set up. I just bought the router 11 months ago, model Asus RT-N12 D1 and it claims in the specs to be IEEE 802.11n and N300 complete networking; 300Mbps. But you're saying that because the ports are only 10/100 .. it can't get that speed? Thanks.

Expert

Manufacturer *claims* are a dime a dozen.... Try it with the new modem and see what you get via WiFi. Can't hurt. You may have had it for only 11 months, but it is an older model. When routers have only the 10/100 ethernet ports of yester-year, their WiFi performance typically suffers as well. Their CPU's and WAN to LAN throughput just can't cut it. I had one and I could only get 90 to 110 Mbps via wireless. YMMV. Good luck !

Expert

See what they say about it here at this highly regarded site;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/search?searchterm=asus_rt-n12_d1

"Not recommended". "Time to upgrade".