Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Internet speed all over the place

Contributor

Internet speed all over the place

Hi, we are on a new fiber optics install in SWFL, purchased speed was 75 MB recently up graded to 100 MB, however when preforming speed tests on speed test.net the speed varies from 54 MB to 92 MB nothing consistent,even when connected directly to the ONU.

Whats up with that?

Geo

Regular Contributor

Re: Internet speed all over the place

Speed tests will vary.  What device are you using?  

 

http://www.speedtest.net/apps/desktop - the app is more reliable than the webpage
https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/
https://testmy.net/ 
http://speedsmart.net/ 
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest 

Expert

Re: Internet speed all over the place


Geochurchi wrote:

Hi, we are on a new fiber optics install in SWFL, purchased speed was 75 MB recently up graded to 100 MB,


Is that "MB" or Mb (Megabytes or Megabits) ? Hmmm. "Fiber optics" ? Thought that they only install fiber optics (FTTH) for customers that subscribe to their 2 gigbit speed tier (Gigabit Pro).

Contributor

Re: Internet speed all over the place

Hi, our community has a whole new fiber installation just being completed, we started at 75 Mbs and were recently upgraded to 100 as part of the deal.

What is FTTH?

Geo

Expert

Re: Internet speed all over the place


Geochurchi wrote:

Hi, our community has a whole new fiber installation just being completed, we started at 75 Mbs and were recently upgraded to 100 as part of the deal.

What is FTTH?

Geo


FTTH = Fiber To The Home, as opposed to coaxial cable.

 

 

Problem Solver

Re: Internet speed all over the place


EG wrote:

Geochurchi wrote:

Hi, we are on a new fiber optics install in SWFL, purchased speed was 75 MB recently up graded to 100 MB,


Is that "MB" or Mb (Megabytes or Megabits) ? Hmmm. "Fiber optics" ? Thought that they only install fiber optics (FTTH) for customers that subscribe to their 2 gigbit speed tier (Gigabit Pro).


https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-is-Quietly-Deploying-Fiber-to-the-Home-For-Some-139596

Expert

Re: Internet speed all over the place

Just an incidental comment from the article;

 

Quote;

 

"At this point, Comcast has not increased speed offerings in these neighborhoods. Generally, RFoG customers are offered the same packages as a traditional HFC customer." 

Contributor

Re: Internet speed all over the place

We have the fiber installed into each unit and a letter was sent out stating we have been upgraded from 75 to 100.

Geo