Community Forum

Internet randomly disconnects constantly

Frequent Visitor

Internet randomly disconnects constantly

I have had xfinity service for years. We have lived in the house where we are now for ten years and since we have lived here our internet randomly disconnects and re connects over and over. I ran a ping test all day today and it disconnected 32 times. Since the end of June I have called Xfinity tech support 17 times and technicians have been out several times. Each time they tell me something different. They replace a few connectors here, a splitter there. Then they say the router we have is bad so I go out and buy a new router. Then they say it's the modem so I have them bring one of their modems in and it is still doing the same thing. Then they say it must be a wire, so I pulled a new wire and it still isn't fixed. We have gone through this before and finally gave up on getting anything done. But my wife works from home and she is constantly getting dropped out of online meetings and is fed up with it.  I have done everythiing I know to do. I need some help! Please!

Expert

Re: Internet randomly disconnects constantly

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? . Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Xfi1.JPGxfi2.JPGxfi3.JPGxfi4.JPGxfi5.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Everything is hard wired. I have replaced all of the ethernet jumpers and the Comcast tech supervisor brought them out and installed them. I pulled a dedicated line from the Comcast drop all the way to the modem with no splitters or wall connectors in between. The TV is fed from a seperate Comcast drop so all of that is totally seperated from the internet. The coaxial wire that I used is all Comcast supplied wire si it is not junk and the ends were all put on by comcast techs. Everything is tight and looks good.

The modem is an Arris Model TG1682G. I had an Arris modem that I bought at Best Buy and the last tech that came out told me that it was old and they weren't updating the firmware anymore and I should get a new modem. So that is what I did.   

Rep

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
507.00 MHz
375.00 MHz
381.00 MHz
387.00 MHz
393.00 MHz
399.00 MHz
405.00 MHz
411.00 MHz
417.00 MHz
423.00 MHz
429.00 MHz
435.00 MHz
441.00 MHz
453.00 MHz
459.00 MHz
465.00 MHz
471.00 MHz
477.00 MHz
483.00 MHz
489.00 MHz
495.00 MHz
513.00 MHz
519.00 MHz
525.00 MHz

SNR
40.37 dB
40.95 dB
40.95 dB
40.95 dB
40.37 dB
40.37 dB
40.37 dB
40.37 dB
40.95 dB
40.95 dB
40.37 dB
40.37 dB
38.98 dB
40.95 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.61 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB

Power Level
3.40 dBmV
6.30 dBmV
6.20 dBmV
5.60 dBmV
5.80 dBmV
5.30 dBmV
5.30 dBmV
5.20 dBmV
4.70 dBmV
4.90 dBmV
4.10 dBmV
4.20 dBmV
4.00 dBmV
4.20 dBmV
3.50 dBmV
4.00 dBmV
3.60 dBmV
3.40 dBmV
3.70 dBmV
3.20 dBmV
3.40 dBmV
2.70 dBmV
2.70 dBmV
2.50 dBmV

Modulation
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
Frequent Visitor

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
35.80 MHz
23.00 MHz
29.40 MHz

Symbol Rate
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s

Power Level
41.50 dBmV
41.50 dBmV
41.50 dBmV

Modulation
64 QAM
64 QAM
64 QAM

Channel Type
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
Frequent Visitor

My wife is at her wits end. One day last week it disconnected 34 times in 2 hours. She works for a big healthcare company that has multilayered security that requires multiple logins with differebt passwords that have to be changed weekly. So when you have to login through 6 levels and it happens 34 times in two hours you can imagine it's maddening! 

Expert

The stats are in spec. Please also post the RF error / event log entries.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Is this what you were looking for?

Log Filters

Event Logs

All logs for Today    
[Harvester][1114]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting 2019/7/26 21:36:11 Notice
[Dhcpc][1690]: erouter0 got new IP 68.35.32.52 2019/7/26 21:34:48 Notice

Log Filters

Firewall Logs

All logs for Today    
FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 138 Attempts, 2019/7/27 07:44:31

Firewall Blocked

Expert

No. Those are the router component's logs, we need the modem component's logs.

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

The stats are in spec. Please also post the RF error / event log entries.

I'm sorry. Where do I find them?

Expert

Not sure, I don't have that device, sorry. I've seen some posts here lately indicating that they may have been disabled in the latest firmware load.

Frequent Visitor

No, don't apologize. I just really appreciate your time and willingness to help! I have looked and I don't see any other logs anywhere else
Frequent Visitor

This is from the ping test this morning
IMG_20190727_082537671~2.jpg
Expert

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time,  something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for your help!!
Expert

Quite welcome ! Good luck with it ! Please post back with how things turn out.

Official Employee

Hello @dalearobinson, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! It's upsetting to hear about this ongoing connection issue you and your wife have been experiencing. I can imagine how inconvenient and frustrating this must be for both of you, especially your wife. I have the ability to work from home as well, so I can imagine her struggles with this connection issue. I would be more than happy to further troubleshoot and assist you with this. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am still having trouble with disconnects. I have called Comcast tech support three times since 11:30 am. They haven't fixed the problem and the connection has dropped 65 times since 11:30.
Official Employee

@dalearobinson, I truly apologize for the delay in response, I was off for the last 3 days. We definitely want to find the underlying cause of this issue so that we can get it corrected. I have responded in our private message and we will go from there. Thanks! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I am cautiously optomistic! The service tech that came out this morning found what he described as a maintenance issue and put in a request for maintenance to come out and fix it. I was lucky enough to find my friend Marty was the maintenance guy who came out.  As it turns out, there was a break in the main cable line feeding this part of my neighborhood and Marty found it and repaired it.  He described it as a major problem. Since he left we have had no more disconnects. Between 11am and 1 pm yesterday we had 123 disconnects. WHile I am not quite ready to say it's fixed, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Expert

Thanks for posting back. Hope things hold up for you !

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for your help in getting this resolved!
Expert

It's why I lurk ! 

Highlighted
Official Employee

@dalearobinson, I'm delighted to hear this and we appreciate you for reaching back out to provide this update. I have also responded in our private message and I will await your response there. Thanks! 

Official Employee

@dalearobinson, I'm delighted to know that you're no longer experiencing this connection issue and that I was able to assist you with repackaging your services. Please be sure to reach out to us for any future issues or concerns, we're here to help. Thanks and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast!