Community Forum

Internet "disconnecting" serveral times a day for 5+ minutes

New Poster

Internet "disconnecting" serveral times a day for 5+ minutes

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server) is the error that is given when I try to troubleshoot.

I have tried unplugging the device for minutes & hours. I have used the RESET button and resetup the internet. Neither have succeeded in solving the random disconnection issues.

Xfinity says my area isn't having any problems with outages.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Internet "disconnecting" serveral times a day for 5+ minutes

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts. If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the Internet Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it. Loss of Internet service is often due to a poor connection between your equipment and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Official Employee

Hello, Snufferpuff. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

Please give the troubleshooting steps that BruceW provided a try and see if that helps resolve this issue you are having with connectivity. If you are still having troubles after trying those steps, then feel free to send me a private message with your first and last name so I can take a closer look. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Snufferpuff, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!