Community Forum

Internet keeps disconnecting

Regular Visitor

Internet keeps disconnecting

Hi.  I've had xfinity for 5 months now.  In the last month or so, the number of times I have been disconnected from the internet has gone up significantly (as well as the length of the outage).  A few details:

1.  I'm not a high usage person.  I have DirecTV Now as a streaming service, but we don't use it much. (more on this in a second).

2.  I have a baby monitor, the aforementioned TV (w/ Roku; I have a Fire Stick I've used on occasion), two phones, and a few laptops.  Again, the monitor, some streaming, and light browsing.  No gaming.

3.  I started with a Netgear C6300 modem/router combo.  I wasn't too happy with it, as it was advertised to have usage tracking but it did not.

4.  Thinking the modem/router was a potential culprit, I bought an Arris modem and Netgear router.  The speed, I believe, has improved, but not the dropping.  (I have a 14 day return, so I'm hedging my bets here for a few more days; I do like the setup better overall, though.  The app is better, etc.)

4a.  On a related note, I have the 1TB plan.  Despite my limited usage, I almost went over the first month.  Most months I use between 650-750GB (~25GB/day).  HOWEVER, and it's still early, since I switched to the new setup (on May 1), I've only used 55GB (according to Xfinity app; can be off by 24 hours...still, this is only 10GB/day).

5.  See attached logs.

IMG_0857.PNG
IMG_0856.PNG
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

The upstream power is borderline / too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Regular Visitor

Thanks, EG.  One followup question (I don't believe there are any splitters; there's only one line into the house that I know of.  I'll check when I get home):  any advice on explaining this to customer service?  That is, rather than saying, "My internet don't work good," how do I explain that I've done at least a little investigative work?  My past dealings with CS have tested my patience, to say the least.

Expert

@aumloco

Your signal levels are fine other than your upstream being a nominal bit too high on a couple of channels. Your real issue is stability, your error log is confirming your disconnection issues. You don't need to call...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

They can also get you set yo with a tech visit if needed.

Tip: If you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

Thanks. What’s the turnaround time on that report generally?
Regular Visitor

@The_Janitor wrote:

@aumloco

Your signal levels are fine other than your upstream being a nominal bit too high on a couple of channels. Your real issue is stability, your error log is confirming your disconnection issues. You don't need to call...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

They can also get you set yo with a tech visit if needed.

Tip: If you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

Any update on this?  Haven't seen a response from Comcast...

Official Employee

Hello aumloco. I can assist with further troubleshooting your intermittent connectivity issues. As suggested, I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.