Community Forum

Internet keeps disconnecting

Frequent Visitor

Internet keeps disconnecting

Internet is disconnecting constantly and has been for the past few days. I am getting a bit tired of having to go and restart my modem for it every...3-4 hours or so.

I have done all the troubleshooting steps I can do. Cables are as tight as I can get them and everything. We had this issue before, but our modem/router thing was old, and they gave us the latest one. It's doing the same exact thing to us again. I am not sure if I need to get a tech here to take a look, or just get a new one. 

Edit: Sister says her Hulu keeps saying check the network and such. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

lfrisch wrote:

I have done all the troubleshooting steps I can do. . 

O/k so are your modem's signal stats in spec ?

Frequent Visitor

EG wrote:

lfrisch wrote:

I have done all the troubleshooting steps I can do. . 

O/k so are your modem's signal stats in spec ?

I have no clue. It has not disconnected at all today on me. 

Silver Problem Solver

Have a look at the troubleshooting, it will tell you what your signals should be and where to find them. EG can help if you post the downstream power levels / SNR and upstream power levels. Smiley Happy

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

Have a look at the troubleshooting, it will tell you what your signals should be and where to find them. EG can help if you post the downstream power levels / SNR and upstream power levels. Smiley Happy

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/1253575

Hmm, I do think we're onto something here.  Result ID: 955004 (for anybody who can check)

I have the TECHNICOLOR TC8305C from Xfinity. I did the test at  https://speedexperience.xfinity.com/ and it says this

Your Wireless Gateway is only single-band.
Your Wireless Gateway only supports the 2.4GHz wireless band, which can lead to poor Wi-Fi performance. A new dual-band Wireless Gateway will improve your wireless performance.

Traffic Management Information
Your traffic has been managed 0 times in the past hour.

Your traffic has been managed 0 times in the past month.

I did the IPv6 Readiness Test and all seems well there.  So, I am guessing we do need to upgrade to a new modem supporting our assigned speed to our plan? 

Edit: Yep, exactly the issue apparently. Still works fine and all, but does need to be updated and returned, etc. 

Silver Problem Solver

The modem is older and you would need to swap to get an XB3 rental, (or buy your own). If the signals are bad now though, they will still be bad with a new modem

Diamond Problem Solver

It's not guaranteed that it is only the WiFi that is dropping out. Does a computer hardwired directly to the TC8305C do the same thing ?

Bear in mind that yes, you should get that earlier XB1 gateway device swapped out for one of their newer / better performing XB3 models;

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

Would still like to see those signal stats just to rule that out...

Diamond Problem Solver

OOOPPPSS.... Guess it's my turn to echo you Paraniod.  LOLLLL !!! 

Frequent Visitor

Paraniod wrote:

The modem is older and you would need to swap to get an XB3 rental, (or buy your own). If the signals are bad now though, they will still be bad with a new modem

I am assuming it's not "bad" today it's not been constantly D/Cing at all today, knock on wood. I think it just was having a fit, and it fixed itself apparently somehow. Still am going to swap it out for the XB3 rental regardless. So, what can i do about a bad signal exactly if the signal was the problem, and not the wifi itself?

If you mean that little wifi signal thing, it's all the way up all the time. 

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, you haven't answered my question or posted what was requested.... All we can do is speculate... 

Silver Problem Solver

The signals can change with wireless noise  ingress, water ingress when it's raining. Or someting else! Have a  look at the troubleshooting link I posted. Not that much you can do apart from checking connections are tight, removing uneeded splitters ect....

You may need a tech visit, if the prob lies within the home (from the gound block) could be 60-70 bucks. Outside the home free. You can get a Service Protection Plan for about $6.00 a month which covers inside wiring, (but not fishing wires through walls).....You could keep that plan a couple of months until the problem is fixed and then ditch it, but do look at the terms and conditions, you have to keep the plan for a certain time.....

Frequent Visitor

EG wrote:

FWIW, you haven't answered my question or posted what was requested.... All we can do is speculate... 

Oh.... I got it now. If you mean this, then here it is. 

Untitled.png
New Poster

UNCHECK Stateful(Use Dhcp Server) 

done..

Diamond Problem Solver

Year old dead thread now being closed.