Community Forum

Internet issues: Internet occasionally slows and frequent disconnects

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Internet issues: Internet occasionally slows and frequent disconnects

Hello!
I have recently been having some internet issues. In the span of around 2 months, I have had around 2 Comcast Technicians and 2 line burying crews. I am not sure why my internet is devoid of any permanent or long lasting solutions. My internet the last 3 days has been acting strangely. I usually have 150mbps+ download speed and 10-12mbps upload speed, but randomly, I have gotten 20-25mbps download speed and 5mbps. It keep fluctuating from those extremes. In addition, my internet consistenly has sessions of episodic disconnects. My Arris Surfboard SB6183 would light up appropriately and function properly, and randomly, it would lose its downstream, upstream, and internet connection lights and only the power light would be lit. After it disconnects, it flashes all 3 of those lights, then flashes the downstream light, and if that connects, it moves down from there. Afterwards, it would work properly for around 5-15 minutes before disconnecting again. Sometimes, the modem fails to get any signal from the downstream and upstream channels and will continue to blink in a loop. Other times, it will not properly bond so the blue light that is supposed to show for the downstream and upstream channels shine green instead. It gives me internet but at significantly lower rates than I pay for.

The past two technicians have helped, but it would always fail again. The first issue had an easy, surefire solution in which the first technician replaced a line outside. After that, my internet worked properly without any disconnects for almost a month. I am not sure if this is relevant, but the service box connecting the line to the house and the line itself was exposed to the open and a lot of rain for around 2 weeks. This was mainly due to poor work of the line burying crew. After I started to see disconnects again, I scheduled another appointment. The second technician came and couldn't pinpoint a problem and said that everything is fine. However, he did cut off some of the tips of coax cables inside the home because he said they were too long. He also did something outside, but I couldn't exactly figure out what he did. The internet worked properly after he left for around 2 weeks. 

Now and the past 2 days, I am back with internet issues. I have tried every basic trouble shooting tip you get when you call customer service. Thanks for any assistance.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet issues: Internet occasionally slows and frequent disconnects

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 11.09.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-15 at 11.08.20 PM.pngHere are the channels

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

https://imgur.com/a/aQ5opnl

Here is the link

Expert

The numbers were o/k at that snapshot in time. Perhaps something intermittent is going on. Please post the error / event log entries as well.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Expert

Check that link, it's broken.

Frequent Visitor

Does this one work?

https://imgur.com/a/70Kr3iJ

Expert

O/k even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

Frequent Visitor

Ok thank you. 

Expert

Good luck with it !

Official Employee

Kim13102, thank you so much for reaching out here! I'd be happy to help out with the internet issues and take a look at this a bit further. Please send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.