Community Forum

Internet is still out after Xfinity Outage was resolved.

Contributor

Internet is still out after Xfinity Outage was resolved.

There was an outage in my neighborhood the day before yesterday, but the outage status says it has been resolved.

I still don’t have internet access, or, rather, every site I visit says it is not secure—the same thing that happened last time there was an unresolved outage in my area.

I talked to customer service and they said they were updating something with my modem and then they reset it. Could the files they sent to my modem be affecting it? I’ve tried troubleshooting and it says everything is fine.
Expert

Re: Internet is still out after Xfinity Outage was resolved.

@marcus2159 wrote:
There was an outage in my neighborhood the day before yesterday, but the outage status says it has been resolved.

I still don’t have internet access, or, rather, every site I visit says it is not secure—the same thing that happened last time there was an unresolved outage in my area.

I talked to customer service and they said they were updating something with my modem and then they reset it. Could the files they sent to my modem be affecting it? I’ve tried troubleshooting and it says everything is fine.

Have you unplugged your modem / router this morning to do a normal reset?   When did they do the reset?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I haven’t reset today, but I tried after I talked to customer support yesterday. There was a five-minute power outage in my city on Tuesday, and since then I haven’t been able to use the internet. The outage map keeps saying everything looks fine then it’ll say there’s an outage then say it’s been resolved.
Contributor

Tried resetting it and it didn’t work. It’s just saying every site I visit isn’t secure which is what it did last time there was an outage, but the outage map says I’m fine.
Frequent Visitor

If you're getting a "page not secure" rather than a "page not found" error, you're likely having an issue beyond just internet access. This could be something local on your machine redirecting you to somewhere other than your destination (generally a sign of malware), a DNS issue, or a firewall problem.

Assuming you're on a Windows OS, you could open command prompt and enter the following:

ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns

After this step, you may need to reset your dnscache by restarting the DNS Client Service. If you're not sure what this means, just reboot, and Windows takes care of it for you.

If you continue having problems after that, here are some additional troubleshooting steps you can take provide more information as to the potential problem:

Use command prompt again to ping several destinations:

1.  ping 8.8.8.8
  2. ping google.com

If you get a response from both of those addresses, that tells us your internet connection and DNS settings are fine, and you're instead having a routing problem. This would generally be the result of one of 3 things:

1. Your firewall (from A/V software, your router, or built in Windows Firewall, depending on what you're using) is blocking HTTP and/or HTTPS traffic.
  2. You have a proxy configured (knowingly or not).
  3. Your machine may be infected with malware that is redirecting you to sites other than your destination.

EDIT: You may also try multiple browsers and see if the issue is occuring in a specific one or not. That would help narrow things down.

Contributor

I’ll try that when I get home. It’s just that the last time this happened, the issue was resolved as soon as the outage was.

It goes back-and-forth between “page not found” and “page not secure.”
Contributor

“Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device Detected or resource (wpad.hsd1.tn.comcast.net) is not responding.

I ran the network troubleshooter and it gave me this line—the same one I got the last time there was an outage.

It’s saying I need to “contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)”.
Contributor

Issue has been resolved. I talked to customer service again and they said my modem had an incorrect boot file and they updated it.